Blind's track

Images of tracks, arenas, and racing surfaces for RCs. Got a track to show off? Do it here.
blindrider3
bitPlaya'

Blind's track

Post by blindrider3 »

Just finished this today. I'll probably end up painting it, but I dont know..

I found the foam barrier stuff at menards for 3 dollars for 20 feet of it. Works good too :-o
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

That's cool, man.
How does that foam stuff work? I never thought of using that material.
It would seem that the foam would stop the 'rail-riding' racers, and that's good IMO. Does it?
Also, what material is the surface of the track? Is it coated particle board, like melamine? How's the traction?

I always need at least a 6' stretch in my racetrack for optimal fun, but I know everybody doesn't have the room, or the means.

I like the simplicity of the oval. I found that a simple oval track is perfect for people new to racing micros. The first track I constructed was a little tricky, and the surface I created turned out kinda slick. So, new racers didn't catch on very quick, or seemed a little 'turned off' by the whole experience. They hand me the controller after a minute and say "I'm not good" or "this is kinda hard for me".
Since then, I have a main oval track made of that construction particle board type stuff. It's slightly larger than 8'x4'. There is some serious traction, and the lanes are 11/2' to 2' wide. Friends catch on quick, and makes the whole racing experience hella fun! I use 3.8 motors mostly, and medium or soft tires, but not the stock/standard tires that normally come with bits. If I use the stock tires, the cars turn way to sharp and flip often because of the traction on that particular surface.

Blind, if people still ride the foam rails, you can always make the 4 outside corners less rounded. Perhaps even make a little indent somewhere along the outside border. It's great the way it is, I'm just shootin' out ideas here. :grin:
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

hue35 and I have done a shitload of racing over the last 2 years, and we always seem to end up with pretty simple layouts. Usually an oval with one chicane in the backstretch, sort of like the letter "B". While complex layouts might be more challenging and interesting if you're just driving by youself, a simple layout is much better racing with other people. We used to race xmods on a 20 foot long oval, and there were times we'd do two or three laps with our doors touching. That's fun!
blindrider3
bitPlaya'

Post by blindrider3 »

MotorGong- It's just a plain old peice of cardboard I found in a big TV box. I just cut the foam and hot glued it down. The foam work's real well, I don't ride the rails, but when I get speed then hit them, they seem to work real well :lol: .