Scenery

Images of tracks, arenas, and racing surfaces for RCs. Got a track to show off? Do it here.
MafiaS
bitGangsta'

Scenery

Post by MafiaS »

Hey pimps...

Well, here is the deal. Finally I have started to get into a bigger scale RC from the bits again. My uncle and I decided 1/28th scale, or MiniZ vs Xmod as we put it, would be the next adventure.

So far we got two new kyoshos coming in. He ordered I believe the 575 Ferrari and I have a Murcielago on it's way hopefully near Christmas. The both of us already have ideas for a track. We have a huge empty basement. He usually uses it for a little workshop but we both realized we could make a kick ass track on it.

Once we have the layout set we wanted to make the track look as realistic as we possibly could. Now for Bits I used HO scenics. But I wanted to know if anyone knew some good scenic advice for the 1/28th scale RC track.

Where could I look for these things? If you pimps are willing, could I get some advice or maybe some tips from you, it would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks...

By the way, was not sure if this should have been under the track section so I put it here to be safe.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

it's a track thing, i'll slide it over. :-)
i used to be cool
MafiaS
bitGangsta'

Post by MafiaS »

Thanks Betty K :-o
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

dont know much about the scenery but if your lhs has a train section check it out, my lhs specializes in trains and they have some nice scenery thatd be perfect for 1/28 :-o
[]D [] []V[] []D
MafiaS
bitGangsta'

Post by MafiaS »

Thanks! The only problem is my LHS has a shitty selection. He's got mainly boat stuff, and tons of it!

What's the order of sizes in train scale? I know of three scales HO,O, and N...Are there any more, or one that matches 1/28th scale nicely?
yakboy
bitPlaya'

Post by yakboy »

I think O Guage is 1/32 which would be your closest bet. Google O guage & you should get some sites
MafiaS
bitGangsta'

Post by MafiaS »

Thanks.

But I actually did some research and Emailed a guy from Woodland Scenics. He told me that the G scale is about 1/22nd scale - 1/24th scale.

I think that is close enough right? I kinda want the trees and stuff to be a bit bigger than the car, the homes too. Remember this stuff is going in a basement so to have all these small things around is still good, it's just bigger items would stand out in the basement.

Our problem came quick. I keep telling my uncle to use those foam mats or w.e, those RCP track stuff I guess there called. I found some great shit at Home Depot, they come in 6x9 sheets, and like 5 in a pack, that should cover alot of area.

He likes the idea that it might be better to just paint the basement floor again like a charcoaly gray, or roadish color, gives it a realistic look, and then build up from the conrete?

What do you think is better, start with a foam based track, like the RCP material or w.e, or just use the conrete build side walls and then the scenery?

PS. Can the mini Zs and Xmods still achieve good handling just on a basement floor well cleaned and painted?

Thanks pimps
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

traction would be limited on the painted concrete flooors. you'll need foam tires to comfortably race, specialy the mini-z. even painted plywood is slippery. + softer walls around corners would be a good thing.
go with foam, you'll like it.
MafiaS
bitGangsta'

Post by MafiaS »

Perfect Imma keep persuadin' him for the mat material I found. Thanks!
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Second the painted concrete being too slippery. Hue and I used to race on painted plywood before we got an RCP track, and we spent literally half our time cleaning the floor, cleaning our tires or figuring out workarounds to make driving possible.

I would check out RCP tracks. They are pretty expensive, but it's good shit and the integrated rails make for better driving and less wear and tear on your car.
MafiaS
bitGangsta'

Post by MafiaS »

Thanks SuperFly. I'm gonna mention that to my uncle hopefully we can get some sort of track surface along the lines of maybe a foam base or something like an RCP. They are just so damn expensive those RCP tracks. What I was thinking for the siding was those foam piper coverings you use to keep the moisture in the pipe, not sure what they are called.

We want to keep our cars looking decent after races. We don't mind some minor scuffs, but a track that's gonna eat up the body work is not going to to be pleasant, especially considering most of the money towards our 1/28th scale fund will be directed at bodies and visual ups.

Thanks again pimps!