Pimpsacola Track Plans

Images of tracks, arenas, and racing surfaces for RCs. Got a track to show off? Do it here.
SilentWolv
bitPlaya'

Post by SilentWolv »

I appologize for the lack of updates guys. Got busy with real work, and had a vacation in there too. No track work = no updates.

I'm at the point now, where I could add some rock faces, or start assembling some of the buildings. Something that Hogjowls said way back that stuck in my brain.......
hogjowlz wrote:i use a shrinkray and zap my neighbors house when they aint home.
Funny comment at the time, but really not to far off of what could possibly be done..... sort of. I have taken some photos of a real body shop, (run-down of course). And thinking about printing the textures out on sticker-paper, and attaching to the corrugated plastic scale buildings. I could tweak the photo some in PSP to suit my needs. For instance change "Body Shop" to "Chop Shop"

Alot of thinking, just need to get my ass in gear. Sorry again for the lack of progress.

I did have some friends over, and had 4 cars going on it. (the wife's vid camera base is busted). I only lost 1 five-lap race :grin: Home track advantage, and two hundred laps practice. Its a little different (and alot of fun) with traffic.
The secret to life is Raku
SilentWolv
bitPlaya'

Post by SilentWolv »

***** Um, change in track plans update! ******

The track was fun as it was for practice, but too technical for racing. The races weren't very competitive 'cause someone was hung up over here, turned around over there..... the laps seemed more like individual challenges, instead of racing agains other cars. It caused me to lose interest in the project. Months later out came the ZZSE's and I regained interest again. The track wasn't suited for the new cars, they're so underpowered, they had a hard time even climbing the spiral.......................................so, I tore it up............

Heh, I was glad to see though, that the super glue, and polyurethane glue bonded so well, that I literally had to bust it out. GONE is the spiral, hill and "S". All I kept was the front straight, and the banked turn. I wanted to simplify the lap with a slight chicane, and a wide sweeper (to make use of the ZZSE's proportional steering). Almost a simple egg-shaped oval.

I was able to shorten the width of the layout by 9 inches and add new handles. It's quite a bit lighter and easier to handle now without the added weight of the spiral wood blocks. Sadly, what would have been the pond and waterfall are also gone, but luckily the landscaping media hadn't been wasted.

Heres what the new design looks like.................lanes are still 10" wide

I'm hoping to have it raceable by Christmas (with the railing up), as I'm giving a couple cars to family...... And I'm looking forward to some closer racing!

-SilentWolv
midget_man1387
midgetPimp

Post by midget_man1387 »

Ech! I'd hate to see that happen to such a nice track, but such is life, thats how it works lol! I like the new layout, but I think you should put a bridge in there somewhere unless you've already got it TOTALLY planned out..., but I think it'd be cool.
SilentWolv
bitPlaya'

Post by SilentWolv »

Hey MM,

I agree a bridge would be cool. The new ZZSE's prolly wouldn't even be able to climb it though without a running start! :shock: Maybe I'll tear it up again if Dave, Pht2, or Cyborgzero come out with a speed mod tut on 'em.

This design is for pure racing. Just lil' bit of skill navigating the chicane and different radius corners, one banked.... should keep the racing action tight I hope. Gonna glue it down tonight and add some railings. Hopefully Christmas day I'll take some vids of the racing action.
Last edited by SilentWolv on Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilentWolv
bitPlaya'

Post by SilentWolv »

The track should be ready tomorrow for some racing. Railing is up. I covered the screws and joints with spackle, then 3 coats of chalkboard spray paint. I've heard alot of talk about chalkboard, but have no idea how the cars will handle on it. Looks pretty good. Still wet, haven't even run a lap on it yet.................

I'm still determined to finish this track, (even after the drastic change), with the landscaping and all. Sorry for the letdown of seeing me trash the old layout that I spend so much time on. It was headed in an awesome direction, but I though not very good as a "racing track". But I'm ok with the change. Change is good. I'll post some vids tomorrow of the racing action.

-----------------------------

Merry Christmas all!
midget_man1387
midgetPimp

Post by midget_man1387 »

SilentWolv wrote:Hey MM,

I agree a bridge would be cool. The new ZZSE's prolly wouldn't even be able to climb it though without a running start! :shock: Maybe I'll tear it up again if Dave, Pht2, or Cyborgzero come out with a speed mod tut on 'em.

Yeah, you're prolly rite.... but mang..... that track looks sweet as shit too. It'd be awesome if you surrounded that in shrubbery and trees, except for maybe a VERY small parking lot and bleachers, kind of like a hidden track in the forest that no one knows about. That'd be schweet! still, looks awesome, can't wait to see some vids!
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I like the new layout. You do need to keep it simple if you plan on getting anyone to race. It's more fun when the newbees aren't bouncing off the wall all the time.

At least you kept the bank. That was one of the coolest features of that track.

Let us know how that chalkboard paint works out. I wasn't sure if it would be worth the extra money, but my traction kinda sucks with plain ol' enamal sprayed on. I'm thinking of trying some black primer, and level sanding with a sanding block. I'm thinking it's the slight bumpiness of the particle board that hurting my traction. Smooth surfaces have always worked best for me.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
SilentWolv
bitPlaya'

Post by SilentWolv »

Did some 3-car racing today... Great fun. The chalk-board paint has ALOT of traction. I had gotten some of the overspray onto the guard rails by mistake, and the cars would come to a stop if you tried to ride 'em!! THats some traction! A few flips as well. The overload of traction make the car's steering really sensitive as well. I can fix the guardrail sticking problem when I put the railing decals over them, but I think I might sand smoove and put another coat of chalkboard down. The spackle showed a little. Check out the vid.....

>>>>http://members.cox.net/silentwolv/CIMG0063.AVI<<<<

Yeah, I know. We gotta learn how to DRIVE! hehe. I was the red Mustang.
TheEvo
bitGangsta'

Post by TheEvo »

Hehehe, that looks like alot of fun :-D

But that grey SE (Not the TT) couldnt climb the banked turn!?
And even though you had a rough you won - nice.

Ur track looks awesome BTW.

/Evo
Do i need a better signature?
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

Man, that's the first permanent track setup I've seen that looks ready for some great racing. SuperFly and I always end up with that same basic track layout with bits and xmods... except we don't have a banked curve. And we don't have an outside wall. So, what are the final dimensions of this track (the board it's on, actually)?

Also, I just watched the vid... why do y'all have to keep reaching in to straighten out the cars? I don't have a SE yet, but it looks like they get stuck or something. So you can't just back out of a crash?
SilentWolv
bitPlaya'

Post by SilentWolv »

The board its on is 6' X 3' (34" wide actually). Lanes are 10" wide. We keep reaching in, 'cause we're bad drivers. :D The SE's won't climb the bank from a stop, won't spin the wheels either, though they seem to have enough speed for the track once they get going. If I did a bank again, I'd also have a flat "low" lane. We sure did get stuck on it alot. Maybe a speed mod on the cars would help. (*wink wink*)

I'm going to try running on the surface again after I sand it flat, before the second coat. Its got too much grip.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the new layout for racing. We were playing 2 out of 3 "lap down and you lose". ....And I'm NOT the current track champion.

The gray TT and the red Mustang had race motors and green gears in 'em. The silver SL500 is completely stock. (red motor/blue gears)
titaniumonkey

Post by titaniumonkey »

that is one NICE track! One of the best out there, right after the InitialD underpass track and The InitialD track ay Zenofstuff. Keep up the good work.
BTW, are you still going to add flock and houses to the track?
SilentWolv
bitPlaya'

Post by SilentWolv »

Thanks TM. Yeah I still have a whole bag of fake trees, grass, rock and stuff, but I screwed the racing surface up and need to get that just right first. I won't be able to fit as much scenery as I was originally planning, but should be able to try out all the media types. At least, the 6X3' board is much, much easier to handle. (narrowed 9" after the rebuild).

I sanded the imperfections flat, and wanted to cover the track with a flat black primer..... But the primer reacted with chalkboard paint and blistered, and cobwebbed. So I'll need to wet-sand and feather that a couple times with a few more coats of flat black acrylic enamel. The chalkboard paint was just way too much traction. I need a surface that will allow the cars to push (powerslide), a little at higher speeds, without that killer twitchy feeling. (and still turn sharp at lower speeds.)

On a positive note though, I did fix the banked curve today, putting in a low flat lane (or rumble strip), so cars wouldn't get stuck there................
ChopShop

Post by ChopShop »

:eek: ur a pretty kick ass driver compared to the other two.

I really like the other track you had put together to.

Kepp up the good work
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

Read through this entire process and impressed to the 9s yet heartbroaken to see her all torn up. So now that the holidays are done will track #2 be seeing your train kit detailing as was origionally planned or are you just sticking w/ function? Hope to see the pimp hood surrounding that track. Oh and don't ghettofy it too much, would be a shame to see a big 'ol pot hole on that fine raceway :cool: