My cool new dirt track

Images of tracks, arenas, and racing surfaces for RCs. Got a track to show off? Do it here.
crazydave
bitPimp

My cool new dirt track

Post by crazydave »

I was just thinking the other day how my apartment complex has let the landscaping go lately, and how that's funny, because most people would probably be irritated, but I was just thinking, cool, more places to run my cars. When I realized, what the hell, its just a pile of dirt in front my apartment, I should make a track. If they don't like it, they can just rake their rocks.

So I set out to make a 1/28-1/18th scale track. It's abput 18'x16' maybe a little larger. Its great for 1/28th, but I think I might have got too technical for 1/18th. I might open it up more. Its kinda rocky in parts, and its on a slope, so there's lots of off camber turns to throw you off.

Here's a little Quicktime clip of my first couple laps with the xmod.
http://members.cox.net/crazydcars/trackxmod.mov
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

cool stuff! :-o

i think rather than piss your neighbours off, that track will actually recruit a few :lol:
i used to be cool
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

That track may give your neighbours something to look at after work :-o
Sweet track man, I'm downloading the vid now.

Maxx
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

Video is cool. Surprised the evo truck doesnt flip over more. Mine spends more time on it's roof than on the wheels. Must be driver. :???:

if the track is still unscathed in a few days.. build some jumps.
:-o
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

The neighbors were giving me odd loooks when I first started sweep dirt back and forth, but after a an hour so, it started taking shape, and couple were saying cool. :-o

Its on the back side of a slope facing a fence, so its really almost unnoticable from the sidewalk. The office is cool here, and they like us, so I don't foresee a problem, but I know its technically against the rules, so I'm hoping it can last.

Clint wrote:Video is cool. Surprised the evo truck doesnt flip over more. Mine spends more time on it's roof than on the wheels. Must be driver. :???:
Thanks, I was feathering the throttle quite a bit to keep control going down the hill. I was surprised how well it did too. I could see the front wheels wobbling all over the place, but somehow it maintained its line. :lol:

I am gonna make a flexable stabilizer for the rear end. The off camber turns really messed with the twisty rear end.

if the track is still unscathed in a few days.. build some jumps.
:-o
I'm gonna throw some cardboard ramps out there. There's a couple spots where the surface is falling apart because there's too many rocks under the surface. I might cover those spots with some small jumps or some whoop-de-doos.
crazydave's Gallery
Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

The track looks like fun! I could even imagine you running some fast ZZMTs on it too!
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

Right on Dave. Almost any track is a good track.
Man, that sucker just flipped right over near the end of your movie. :grin:
What happened there? It seemed like you were going straight, then whoops.
It's cool once again to see an Evo Truck in action. I still don't have one, and makes me want to buy one.
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

MotorGong wrote:Right on Dave. Almost any track is a good track.
Man, that sucker just flipped right over near the end of your movie. :grin:
What happened there? It seemed like you were going straight, then whoops.
Not sure. I think because it was on the bank it was pulling outside, and I went to try to corrent it too quickly, but watching the video it almost looks like it hit something. :???:
crazydave's Gallery