Building plans for a new bit city track.

Images of tracks, arenas, and racing surfaces for RCs. Got a track to show off? Do it here.
SebbeK

Building plans for a new bit city track.

Post by SebbeK »

This is my first post at this forum!
I did buy 2 microsizers from the web 2 weeks ago and i guess they'll arrive in monday or somthing. I'm gonna go for the underground style and I'm gonna build a 2x1meters city with alot of cool stuff on it.
In the green circle there's a canyon! Its gonna be raised from the ground and is gonna be reached with the bridge (blue circle) that will be able to open so that you have to jump over it!
I will also build an underground subway (red circle).

The materials im gonna use is:
Plywood board.
Foam rubber for the roads. (Im gonna buy those things you roll up and sleep on, made of foam rubber)
Milk boxes for the houses.
And for the raised canyon im gonna use papé maché (i dont know how to spell it :P)
Im also gonna add lights to the city!

Any suggestions?
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Looks fun. Might not be quite big enough for the turning radius of a bit though.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
Teppudama
bitHood

Post by Teppudama »

For your building lights, I would recommend a halogen lamp and some fiber optic filaments. I used to sell electical supplies to contracting companies and saw something like this that one contractor was installing in a dentist's sauna room, to look like a stary night in the ceiling, but it would be pretty easy to do this yourself, so long as you use fireproofing on the halogen lamp box since they do heat up.
Looks good, hope you post pictures of it when you get a chance.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Mache' is spelled right... :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
SebbeK

Post by SebbeK »

Thanks for the replies!
So papyr(?) maché is a good choice for the terrain?
Would a bit be able to jump that open bridge?
r/cdrifter7
bitPlaya'

Post by r/cdrifter7 »

only if you had something done to it( motor/duel battery)....and it depends on the bridge angle and distance.
The man who said, "Money doesn't buy happiness." never had any.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

If you go to an art and craft store (like Michaels or Pat Catans, etc.) they will have bags of powdered paper mache'. You just add water and it makes a clay like mush. I'd build a base out of heavy cardboard and coat it with the ground paper mache' (as thin as posible, just enough to get the shape you want, this will speed drying time) and when its dry you can paint it or use colored "flocking" for grass. (they'll know what to use at the art/crafts store). If you want more realism you cant get trees and buildings from HO scale model train supply houses (internet, ebay, or local hobby shop). The craft stores sometimes stock a thin dense foam rubber simlar to the "track" stuff that Radio Shack sell for X-Mods, Its a lot cheaper and you can cut it to shape, or just cover the whole base before building up the rest then the uncovered part will be you road.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Sorry about this double post...ran out of space.
To make your own paper mache:
To make the paste:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups cold water
2 cups boiling water (requires adult supervision)
3 tbsp. sugar

Mix together flour and cold water in a bowl.
Add this mixture to the boiling water and allow it to return to a boil.
Remove from heat and stir in the sugar.
As the mixture cools it will thicken as it does.
You can also just make a quicky paste by putting flour in a bowl and adding water until you have kind of a soupy paste.
If you're planning to make something you want to last for years and years, be aware that flour paste can get moldy, especially in humid environments.
You might want to try using powdered wall paper adhesive (non-pourous) mixed with water.
It comes in milk carton type containers and you can find it anywhere wallpaper is sold.
Be sure to cover your work area with lots of newspaper or wax paper - papier mache can get very messy!

To make your shape:
Tear (don't cut) narrow strips of newspaper or newsprint.
Narrower strips work best when using a rounded mold... for flat or rectangular surfaces, larger strips are ok.
Dip the strips into the paste, coating completely.
As you lift the strip out, run it between your thumb and forefinger to squeeze out excess paste.
Then drape the strip across your mold. Overlap strips slightly as you go - the torn edges will blend together and your final product will have a smoother finish.
You may need more than one layer of paper.
It's best to allow each layer to dry before putting another on - this means some projects could take several days!
SebbeK

Post by SebbeK »

Wow thank you for that super big post! Im gonna use your tips ;)
I just made a big turn when it comes to the track design... I was thinking that a cooler race track would be better then a big city... and mabey more fun! So i think im gonna create a race track but still keep the canyon and the choice of takin away the bridge so it turns into a big jump.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

looks good keep us posted. :-o
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

That looks like a WHOLE lot more FUN than driving in a city.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
SebbeK

Post by SebbeK »

My Bits came yesterday! Finally. Wiiiieeeh!!!
Im just very very dissapointed with the controllers.... But im gonna mod them i think.
One of the cars sometimes runs even if i dont press the run button... and even if the controller is turned off! Does somebodie know the problem?
I will try to style one of them with stickers and post some pics in the evning.
r/cdrifter7
bitPlaya'

Post by r/cdrifter7 »

the zip is getting interfiered(sp) with something else...mabey another kid playing with his car,garage door opener, or anything with a radio transition.
The man who said, "Money doesn't buy happiness." never had any.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

SebbeK wrote:My Bits came yesterday! Finally. Wiiiieeeh!!!
Im just very very dissapointed with the controllers.... But im gonna mod them i think.
One of the cars sometimes runs even if i dont press the run button... and even if the controller is turned off! Does somebodie know the problem?
I'm assuming you got one of the Super Bit Char-Gs? Those things remember the last command they recieve. Its assumed to make glitching less noticeable, but I'll tell you there's nothing more annoying than a runaway car when you glitch.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
SebbeK

Post by SebbeK »

crazydave wrote:
SebbeK wrote:My Bits came yesterday! Finally. Wiiiieeeh!!!
I'm assuming you got one of the Super Bit Char-Gs? Those things remember the last command they recieve. Its assumed to make glitching less noticeable, but I'll tell you there's nothing more annoying than a runaway car when you glitch.
Yes i got the super bit char-g's... sad but thank you for the answare :)