Removable CB Whip Antenna Mod - ZZMT Edition!

Tutorials, tips, and tricks by pimps. Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Removable CB Whip Antenna Mod - ZZMT Edition!

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

So you may have already seen the "ZipZap SE removable antenna" mod already, but this is the ZZMT version. I was going to mount it externally toward the rear, but decided against it as that would have meant the body and chassis would be connected by the antenna wire and I didn't want that. Aw hell, just look at the pics and I'll describe 'em as I go.

As always, what we want to accomplish:

So you are going to follow the SE insructions as far as soldering the future antenna and the ZZMT's antenna wire to the connectors.

Then what I did was I took off the PCB cover on the ZZMT chasis and wrapped the antenna around something ( I don't know what it is, but I know most of you do). Then I englarged the normal antenna hole enough to fit the female connector and that was pretty much it. I pulled the female connector through the body's antenna hole and thats it.

Oh, and I added a flag to make it go faster. Yeah. :cool: . So wala! Removable and it makes it look so much cooler and realistic.

P.S. For anyone interested. I used "Berkley, Big Game, Steelon Nylon, Coated Wire, 60 lb., 30 ft." Commas are line breaks. It's really strong nylon coated fishing line and it worked amazingly well. I just stripped a little off the end to solder it into the male connector. It is flexable, so I can store it small and it will still keep its shape. And sorry I couldn't get the damn camera to stop focusing on the tortilla.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-288:1 Gear Ratio
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
-1:35 Scale Willy's Flatfender body
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

That's great! I love the work you're putting into this truck. Oh and BTW I'd say most of us here have no idea of what the thing you wraped the wire around is...there are a few really kick-ass electronic guys here but I'd say they are the minority. I just do cutting/sanding/ and some physical mods myself. The electroincs are way over my head. Great work--keep it up :-o
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Great job, glad to see you are able to post again. :-o
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

CaboWabo wrote:Great job, glad to see you are able to post again. :-o
Yeah thanks, I found the solution: bum computer. So I got a new one (Mac-tastic) and I'm good to go.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

sidewinder wrote:That's great! I love the work you're putting into this truck. Oh and BTW I'd say most of us here have no idea of what the thing you wraped the wire around is...there are a few really kick-ass electronic guys here but I'd say they are the minority. I just do cutting/sanding/ and some physical mods myself. The electroincs are way over my head. Great work--keep it up :-o
Thanks, I really love that truck. While all of my other projects may be out of commission or have a loose wire somewhere or some other bs, the Black Bear is always holdin' on strong. And thank goodness on the second half. I must have just seen all of people who do know that suff early.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
MotorGong
bitNinja

Re: Removable CB Whip Antenna Mod - ZZMT Edition!

Post by MotorGong »

This looks great, however I seem unable to find the SE version tutorial that you mention to reference this tutorial with lol.
Seems fairly straightforward, I just wanted to be sure I'm not missing anything.
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Wow...would of never thought of a fishing leader for an antenna - brilliant! Cool little truck too!

All that being said, it's the tortilla that's really got my attention...maybe because it's lunch time here :-)
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Camera was hungry.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
Smoke&Mirrors
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

MotorGong wrote:This looks great, however I seem unable to find the SE version tutorial that you mention to reference this tutorial with lol.
Seems fairly straightforward, I just wanted to be sure I'm not missing anything.
It's right here.
http://www.gcrossett.com/zipzaps/
It's a really good site. I'd bookmark it.
PimpFloyd wrote:Wow...would of never thought of a fishing leader for an antenna - brilliant! Cool little truck too!

All that being said, it's the tortilla that's really got my attention...maybe because it's lunch time here
Yeah, I actually ended up changing it to really thing music string and it works much better. I don't know if I'd suggest the leader again. Good observation though. And on that torilla too.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs
Nasphere
bitNinja

Post by Nasphere »

I'd like to make a suggestion for those of you who want to mod your antennas. Most antennas are "tuned" to a frequency. This will help explain why 2.4ghz antennas are 31.25mm long while 72mhz antennas are 1m long.

It's a simple math equation that will help you choose the right length for your antenna so you can get better range with your modded antenna than you did with the stocker.

300,000,000 / frequency = 1 full wavelength

For example:

300M / 72M = 4.166 meters ------ your antenna length is usually tuned to 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8 the wavelength of the frequency. In the case of an RC airplane transmitter, the antenna is 1 meter or 1/4 wavelength.

300M / 2.4G = 125mm. 1/4 wavelength is 31.25mm long.

for a ZZM running 49Mhz.
300M / 49M = 6.122m long. Of course this is too long so you need to divide it by 2 until you get a reasonable number, or something you're looking for. I came out with 95.6mm total length for the antenna, which is 1/64 wavelength.

I hope this helps! :-)
Whack!
Sqwalerrr
bitPlaya'

Post by Sqwalerrr »

TO MANY NUMBERS!!!! AHHHHGG! :mad: i just got even more confused...
hello world! Prepare for the gayness
bitGangsta'

Post by Smoke&Mirrors »

Nasphere wrote: for a ZZM running 49Mhz.
300M / 49M = 6.122m long. Of course this is too long so you need to divide it by 2 until you get a reasonable number, or something you're looking for. I came out with 95.6mm total length for the antenna, which is 1/64 wavelength.

I hope this helps! :-)
Uh yeah, only a lot! That's great information. And thanks for doing the 1/64th math for us so we don't have to try and convert it on our own. I'd probably end up with a foot long wire sticking out the top. If you have other information like it, I'd love to hear it, as would others I'm sure.
Project Willy
ZZMT
-Articulation Mod
-BB Steering Servo
-Extended Wheelbase
-Widened Axles
-Polaris ATV Tires
-Dean Plugs