Build your own charger (and stop buying batteries)

Tutorials, tips, and tricks by pimps. Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
Nightraven

Post by Nightraven »

Everything is wried up right. tripple checked it on my meter. must be the adaptor being like a RS. I'll try to hit up a diffrent walmart to see if they have the 1000 powerlines insted of the philiips.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

For whatever reason, just the right adaptor is hard to find. I must have tried 7 or 8 different ones before the Powerline one. You might look for a single-voltage adaptor, as they are much easier to find, and less likely to have built-in circuit breakers. I have a Sony 3v 700mA adaptor, from some walkman-type device, that actually does a better job charging my single cell cars than the Powerline.
Nightraven

Post by Nightraven »

Good idea... downside is i need to charge my duel cell i just made and single cells... charger works great with the 3 AA's but just need to find a charger now... gona try a diffrent walmart tomarrow.
Nightraven

Post by Nightraven »

Welp had to go to 3 diffrent walmarts, finaly found it at the third. It was the last one they had, and the package was open cuz aparently someone tryed to steal it... But the charger was in there and thats all i needed! works great now... even bought another motorworks so i could play around with them and charge'em on AC to. to help some people out heres the web site for the maker of the chargers.

http://www.powerexperts.com/powerline/products.html#ac

part# 0900-33

for some reason walmart dosen't list them in there online store..
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Glad it worked out. Not sure exactly what it is about other adaptors that makes them not work, but my guess is short circuit protection. Also, just to let you know, we routinely hit that button 3-4 times each charge, 5-6 for 100mA and better batteries in the car.
Nightraven

Post by Nightraven »

Thanks for the added info. Just 1 hit seems to be giving me 10 min worth of driving time on a stock tomy style duel cell. so the 3-4 isn't really needed until i can setup some kinda track. but thanks a bunch.
Ecca

Post by Ecca »

I took the charger platform out and rigged it up to an external DC psu and i charge it @ 1.5v until it drops till .20a (from .40) it works great.
If you dont have an external DC PSU you can use an old computer powersupply (or the one you are using) and some resistors to put the voltage down from the available 12v, 5v, or 3.3v
You could also use some D batteries to charge it (since AAA, AA, C and D use the same voltage [only difference is how long they last])

Last edited by Ecca on Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Well that was very imformative first. thanks for the info, and welcome to the hood. :-)
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Ecca

Post by Ecca »

crazydave wrote:Well that was very imformative first. thanks for the info, and welcome to the hood. :-)
Glad to find an active ZipZap Modding forum!

Ontopic:
Power Supply resistors
(edit)
Test them with a multimeter the Zip Zap needs 1.5v and ~.40a. Haven't tested these yet but I am going to grab some at RadioShaQ tomorrow and test them myself.

I'll write a step by step tutorial if requested, just send me a PM. Fuck batteries.
Last edited by Ecca on Sun May 06, 2007 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

Ecca wrote:
I see your windows product key. might want to blur that out.
Ecca

Post by Ecca »

Murdoch wrote:
I see your windows product key. might want to blur that out.
It's actually a 2 month free trial for Xbox live. It's been used though :-o
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

I gave it a shot using my xbox and it was accepted

psyche. :P