CaboWabo's Dual Cell Mod

Tutorials, tips, and tricks by pimps. Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

honda_s2000 wrote:Kool ,
one wuestion ,
Why will my bit move while charging but when off charge no movement ?????
It works while on the charger because the PCB is wired to the battery/charging terminals, so it gets juice from the charger.

So apparently your battery is not making contact. Either with the terminal on the + side, or one of your wires has broke off.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Cheers crazydave , i got it sorted now, too much solder batt wasnt connecting prop or fitting in well enough.
It seems to go allright tho,
Will see better tomorrow when i can go downstairs as everyone is in bed right now.
We don't need no god damn roads!
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Hmm,
Not as fast as i would like it.But its ok for my first dual cell.
I did this on a hitari mean speed machine 1:64 ( bigger than a bit )

peace
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

ok i did this mod to one of my extra bits and my volt meter reads 1.2 volts i take out the dual cell and the cell in the chassis is extremely hot. I have everything wired up and soldered all nice im lost as to what th problem is :?
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

You could have damaged the battery's while soldering them ,
I did this once and i had extremely hot batterys when running and some liquid squirting out of the battery's .
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

Idk i got fed up with it and just stuck with one cell thanks though
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

try and get hold of one of those whirly doos ,
you know those cars that the front end spins around .
Whip out the cells , they are allready dual celled and ready to go , just solder then in to your bit. The motors are also very tourqey not a bad speed either allthough they are hardwired but it shouldnt be too hard to wire it to the pcb.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I've said this since day 1 of my first dual cell mod....
Go with 150 mah cells, do it right and you'll have one of the hardest micro's on the planet.
Make sure you have good connections and also when soldering - don't over heat the batteries.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

CaboWabo wrote:I've said this since day 1 of my first dual cell mod....
Go with 150 mah cells, do it right and you'll have one of the hardest micro's on the planet.

my first dual cell has been my fastest and best handlin even after all the lipo cars ive owned and tri/quadcells the dual is just the damn sweetspot :-o although that car underwent all of my "experiments" and has gone through 3 chassis it still has killer runtimes, damn near my lipo runtimes. if ur gonna go dual cell get a premade pack out a mt or a superslick they will last forever in a little bit/zip :lol:
[]D [] []V[] []D
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

Holy Shiat!
I can't believe I did it!

My ZZSE antenna broke in half. I soldered a new improved one on.
I wanted a better antenna for my controller. More soldering.
Now I'm getting confident.

Dual Cell Bit time, and WOW!!!!! It works!! :-D
I'm just a soldering freak now.

I bought that RS 4AA charger and soldered the wires to the MS charging mount wires.
So far I've charged up to 2min. I'm using a 3.8 "toynk" motor and speed gears.
It hauls ass. Instant acceleration off the line, great speed.

But I'm not popping wheelies. :( I do have the 2nd battery on the motor mount.
I only used the stock/standard Tomy batteries, not 150mah. Could this be the reason?
Or maybe different gearing?
I'll try different motors and gears, I just got so excited I had to share.

I'm a bit concerned about battery overheat. When I soldered the wires to the battery, the battery got hot, but no melting of the coating. Hot, like, I could pick the battery up with my fingers, but only for about 5 seconds before I felt discomfort from heat. No burning of the flesh, no spewage of liquid. The batt cooled off within 3 minutes.

Again, I'm thinkin' I'm not poppin' wheelies or getting that "super power" because of the TYPE of batts I used?
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

NEVER overheat your batteries, you will do irreversable damage to them. when soldering cells be as quick as possible and cool them by blowing on them immediately.

worst case scenario is they will explode, i had a lithium button cell go off in my face once! :shock: i'm fucking lucky it sprayed the shit away from my face :smile:
i used to be cool
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

I just knocked out a couple of dual cells this week. Managed to cook the first batteries - got them waaay too hot and when i got them in the car they were running more pissweak than the original single cell.

Have just dropped in my second attempt - much, much better. Still not blistering fast, but definite runtime/speed improvements. Sanding the contacts before soldering saved me on this one.

Managed to break two sets of steering wires this week, and fixed them! Meanwhile, i want to slap the stupid ass who thought that wires that frickin thin was a good idea.
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Maybe you're not getting enough traction?
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
MotorGong
bitNinja

Post by MotorGong »

CaboWabo wrote:Maybe you're not getting enough traction?
At first I read that, and I'm thinking "c'mon, traction?"

Sure enough, that was at least partially the reason. Not the tires, but a slightly dirty floor. After doing these mods, I think I was still in 'technical mode' or whatever.
Again, the Simple and Obvious comes through. Thanks for pointing it out.
BattleField 2 Stats
"Please not in the fire's neighborhood, heat, that place the spirit swim to play or take care of." ...LxxChar-G Instruction Manual
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I'm always thinking I'm driving on a clean floor until my shit starts doing doughnuts like Burt Reynolds, then I look at my tires and they've got a nice thin film of dust all over'em.
Bits are like the white glove test of cleaning. :lol: