Mold your own tires

Tutorials, tips, and tricks by pimps. Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
cj
Ex-Shack ZipPimp

Mold your own tires

Post by cj »

Has anyone ever used anything like tis to make your own tires?
One could make new zip and Xmods tires any time instead of buying new tires.

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.as ... t&ID=82987
micromatch
bitGangsta'

Post by micromatch »

i use silicone
is this thing on?
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

That would be great to make your own tires.

Molds, where do you get the molds?

How about different patterns and treads?

Are they real sticky or slippy?
TMP
bitGangsta'

Post by TMP »

as for molds, just make your own... trust me its not too difficult. And as for the softness or hardness of the tires, that depends on what type of stuff you use.... and yes the treads...make em yourself! get thinking and dont be afraid to make alot of stuff yourself, its a good learning experience.
The METALLIC Pimp.
filelicker
bitNinja

Post by filelicker »

mmmmm , :lol: gonna have to try that! :cool:
People are like slinkies..... they are the most fun when you push them down stairs.
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

TMP, not to be rude, but was there a point to your post. I have yet to see you post a personal mod you have done and yet I have seen SGs work. Just seemed your response was a bit condecending even tho I doubt you intended to do that. If you are going to post "answers" to a Pimps question, then friggin post an answer, not "phhht it's soooo easy figure it out yourself and stop wasting my time". Again I know this wasn't your intention, but at leaste to me that's how it came accross. :-?
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

That could be good for custom tires like for alloys, but I wonder how grippy it is. Kinda pricey just to find out.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
sg219
bitPimp

Ya, Whats up with that?

Post by sg219 »

Thanks, Finks....but I guess I'll figure it out on my own since its soooooooooo easy....because the almighty himself TMP said so...

Whats up with that? I'm still new to most of this stuff, but I do throw up some useful or at the very least interesting posts.

I usually dont reply to replies that are of no help, but I'll make an exception in this case.

I try to only reply if I can acually give good help or advice on where to get what your looking for. My post count is low, and proably will stay that way until I learn more and get down and dirty with some of the mods I see in this forum. I would like to inovate something, but that just happens, you can't just invent. Its about creativity (and being h**h while you do it) and trial and error. I've had plenty of errrroors!!

Some of the things I see and read about these Pimps is absolutly insane. I have to lean back in the computer chair and say, "What the hell? Did I read that right? No, someone just didn't use powdered milk and beer as putty filler!!!" Its stuff like that and the full explination of how they did it and why, that makes this place (BitPimp.com) as great as it is.......

I have 2 cars in the shop right now, I was on vacation, but I go back to work Monday. So theres no telling when I'm going to get done now.

Plus, I work in a restuarant, so that just increases the time its going to take.
TMP
bitGangsta'

Post by TMP »

Finks wrote:TMP, not to be rude, but was there a point to your post. I have yet to see you post a personal mod you have done and yet I have seen SGs work. Just seemed your response was a bit condecending even tho I doubt you intended to do that. If you are going to post "answers" to a Pimps question, then friggin post an answer, not "phhht it's soooo easy figure it out yourself and stop wasting my time". Again I know this wasn't your intention, but at leaste to me that's how it came accross. :-?

Really sorry it came across that way.. i really didnt mean it to sound angry or superior. just wanted to give him the go to be as creative as you can with these things... because half the stuff is easier and better to make yourself, just trying to inspire a bit. If i came across wrongly im truely sorry, did not intend it in that manner what so ever. None of that post was intended to be arrogant or stuck up sounding, in fact i really admire new commers to the hobby and im willing to patiently help anyone on a problem they might have, i am no way a guru or know it all to micro RC, nor am i trying to be, but i would post something like "phhht it's sooo easy, figure it out yourself and stop wasting my time." and i would not like to be thought of that way at all pimps. As for my Mods, ive got quite a few interesting things on the back burners that i have yet to unleash...
The METALLIC Pimp.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

dunno if this is old news, but canabits just sent me a link to this german guy's amazing mods.

http://members.surfeu.de/cyberjunky/mybits.html

he explains how he molds his own tyres here. it's all in german, but you get the idea from the pictures

http://members.surfeu.de/cyberjunky/spikes.html
i used to be cool
sg219
bitPimp

thats it

Post by sg219 »

Thanks Betty/Canabits!!!!!!!!! Thats a team effort forwarding of info!!

Thats what I'm tryin' to figure out!!!! Not only the speech, but the process.

It looks like he takes a spindle thats carvable and puts his treads on in one series of pics. And in the other he forms the treads around an exsisting tire to get imprints. I'm missing a detail or two, but I these pics help alot.

I'd try this in a day or two, but its back to work Monday morning. I'll get to it soon enough.

I spent my vacation playin'!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bird
bitPimp

Re: thats it

Post by Bird »

sg219 wrote:

I spent my vacation playin'!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, playin "let's run over all those homies with some cheap motorworks tanks at Bird's crib".

Hey we should try to mold some treads for dem! :cool:
canabits
bitThug

re:

Post by canabits »

While these are not being made for Bits, a similar process could be used.

Tire Casting 101

Without spending alot of cash to test the idea you would use plaster in place of resin and silicone in place of the RTV. I would imagine you could use Moldbuilder [?I think that's the name] latex as well.

Most general purpose clear silicone's can be cut with mineral spirits to make it a little more flowable. And then there's always flowable windshield & glass sealer available in the automotive section at Wal-mart among other places [42g tube sells for a couple bucks]

I may have to give this a go myself. Those Hot wheels sourced wheels he's got the stubby tires on rock!

http://members.surfeu.de/cyberjunky/spikesb9.jpg
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

yeah, that guy makes some awsome stuff,, if you want to read what he has there in english go to altavista and go to babelFish to convert german to english,, just cut and paste,, very simple,,, the translation isnt perfect but its a hell of alot easier to figure out what he is saying

you can even just take the link and put that in babel fish and it will translate the entire page,, very cool

STG
codesuidae
bitPlaya'

Post by codesuidae »

Just feed the link to google to translate it:

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... pikes.html

This is one of those things I want to try after I get a rotary table for the mill. The idea is that I could do something like this:

Then put it on the rotary table and use an engraving cutter to mill tread patterns into the form. Could do more complex treads that way. Even with a simple hand drill you could chuck the mold into it and turn some street tires with an xacto blade.