SE steering wheel upgrade X-Wheels

Tutorials, tips, and tricks by pimps. Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
LBRC
bitGangsta'

SE steering wheel upgrade X-Wheels

Post by LBRC »

What good is improved steering on a fast car if you can’t hold onto the steering wheel. While looking around for something to replace my SE controller’s steering wheel with I pulled out a drawer full of useless, until now, Xmod body kit wheels, "ah X-Wheels perfect," plenty of room to reach the switches, light, and just the right hight.

Someone has most likely done this already, but after building a few I liked them so much that I had to make a small tutorial. X-Wheels tutorial.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

That's a pretty cool idea. I haven't seen anybody do that before.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Surprised, they go together like beer and pizza, nothing fancy but put six together and you got a party.

I hated the Body Kit wheels on an Xmod controller, but they’re great on the SE. For me this might just be the only must do SE upgrade. With a controller I can use and the newer SE's improve steering I’m not only interested but hooked, small, fast, and controlable.

I got a chance to run the LiPo SE’s and my Spud Epoch on a RCP Mini-tile 96 track for a few laps today, and it sold me completely my new rec/race-room goal for this winter is a RCP Mini-tile track, six modded SE’s (plus a few Iwaver CB cars). Now if only the Core (CRS) mini transponders will only fit, they look to be about 30mm wide but if they can be shaved a bit or bent without damage it might just be possible to stuff one in.
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

Simple, effective and worth the trouble. Ya did good lbrc. :-)

Moved here, now should this be stickyed? :???:
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

A little different version with a longer shaft made out of an old pen and epoxy.
ImageImageImage
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

sessiz wrote:.....now should this be stickyed? :???:
@Sessiz.......Sure. :good:

I'll have to try this one out. It seems to be a way better steering wheel than the stock ZZSE wheel with no grip.
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

My new favorite is the Mustang Body Kit wheel.
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Another way to keep the wheel firmly attached is to drill a small hole through the mount and the controller then insert a retaining screw.
Longer shafts need extra strength.
This shaft was first glued to the mount from the inside using epoxy then the shaft was filled with epoxy, the wheel was put on and the shaft was inverted while the glue was still liquid resulting in an assembly nearly as strong as if it where one solid piece.
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

i did this, and my bro accidentally ripped the internals and messed up the controller. i guess there was a little too much grip :-(
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Bummer-deska dude :sad: .

Good point though this mod will make your SE easier to steer but not near as troll proof. Hence rendering it unsuitable for the overenthusiastic, easily excitable and other such little bro types. Not to mention Joe Young, Solomon Grundy, other excessively strong but clumsy gorillas, and a few big bro’s.

Hopefully there are a goodly supply of extra SE controllers in your area, around here SE controllers out number cars two to one, the local RS always has a few spares.
evoraptor
bitNinja

Post by evoraptor »

yea, i didnt have one myself but my friend had one from a few destroyed ones. :grin: (it was good while it lasted-im not gonna try that again until i get another car.)