SS-M Iwaver Conversion questions

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
frizzen
bitDisciple

SS-M Iwaver Conversion questions

Post by frizzen »

Since I run a couple years behind the rest of the board, I'm looking for an Iwaver TX and car PCB to drop in a 1/25 SS-M. It's going to be an indoor crawler for when I need my fix and can't use the 1/10 crawler, and my g/f might be getting hers upgraded if she wants.

What version board is the best?
Are there any differences with Tx?

Is there still a good supplier for them?
Anybody have some they want to get rid of?
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

I would look for a Mini-Z MR01 myself. No brakes or double-pumps to get in reverse, could probably find one cheap. You really get what you pay for with iWaver boards. I bought 3 and only 1 works right. The board in my SSMT is in fact an iWaver board, but it's first-gen taken out of a car. I'd almost consider an X-mod board before an iWaver board.

Anyway, any normal mini-z-type TX should be fine. I use one of those first gen of the nice iWaver TXs that was programmable, and I just have my SSMT as one of the cars.

They are an awesome indoor crawler, especially fun on laundry piles. Good outdoors too, in a limited setting.

Be sure to check this out, a must mod:

http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/album231
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I've never had an Iwaver but I've heard people say the boards are junk before so I think I'd take Superfly's advice on the subject. But, have you considerd a Mini T or Micro T board? You can find the electronics cheap on ebay. Then you could use a "real" TX.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

The micro-T wasn't out when I made my 1/24 SSMT, but that would be a good setup as well. Any Mini-Z board will allow you to use a "real" TX. The only thing I'm not sure about is the steering motor control. I know Micro-Ts (and probably Mini-Ts as well) have a different type of steering control servo than the Mini-Z motor-into-gearbox style, which is what the SSMT has. Using a Mini-Z board was literally as simple as opening it up, tearing out the stock electronics and soldering the Mini-Z board in place.
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

I bow to the pimping knowlege. What do I actually want to use?

The truck already has my version of the LSSM, Crawler motor/gear, locked rear diff, tightened front diff, I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Want to add 1/18 hobby grade tires, brass halfshafts, light weight body...
--

Hmm, somebody just released a bolt-on Dig for the Axial transmission, funds might shift and send this project to back burner again.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

My 2c:

The Micro-T uses the same "style" of steering as an Xmod board, i.e. 3 wires to the pot and 2 to the servo motor. Installing a Micro-T PCB into an SSMT would be much the same as using a Mini-Z board, but with one more wire to solder. :-o

One thing I wish we had data for though, is the resistance range of all these various pots. Then we could calculate the resistors, etc. needed to get the right steering throw after these nutty conversions. Hope your radio has a dual-rate adjustment. ;)
Greyscale Racing