Greyscale Racing MRCG

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

To tide this thing over until my final exams are done, here's the latest render straight out of the manual:

Special features include infinitely-adjustable suspension stiffness (yes, infinite :)), quick-release battery strap, Delrin everything in the rear pod, and a new motor mount that doesn't need drilled cans.

I haven't come up with a good enough servo saver so you'll need a servo saver intended for 1/18.

With a Ti-shaft ball diff and the small electronics (the new ASF board is just one possibility) the MRCG should weigh around 135g without body; that's 5-10g less than a similarly equipped MR02, not too bad.
Greyscale Racing
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

Greyscale Racing
steelwoolghandi
bitPimp

Post by steelwoolghandi »

That is one sweet Chassis! I love the way the Servo is hooked up! What did you build the main chassis frame out of?

Vary clean! Super work man just super!!! :-o
My other hangout! R7R
My Bitpimps Gallery of Pics:
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

That looks great!

You should be very proud. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at people's big ideas even with CAD drawings and samples, but never a finished thing that actually worked.

:-o
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

The chassis is made entirely of G10 fiberglass, aka FR4 or FRP. The rear pod uses Delrin rather than aluminum because it's lighter, and stiff enough to be used here.

Thanks for the compliments guys, unfortunately I can't sit back and be happy till this thing is officially released. :lol:
Greyscale Racing
civicsr2cool
bitNinja

Post by civicsr2cool »

well you should be fucking happy as hell!
you have some great skills and this chassis shows it! :-o
[]D [] []V[] []D
r/cdrifter7
bitPlaya'

Post by r/cdrifter7 »

COLOR0!!!!!!!!!!

You should contact Mini-z, tell them you have REVOLUTIONIZED their chassis, then sell it to them for a price of YOUR choosing. :cool: :cool:

You'd be a millionare. :) :) :-o :-o
The man who said, "Money doesn't buy happiness." never had any.
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

I can dream. Kyosho would probably have me pay them. :lol:

Well, I put the old motor back in. Still as powerful, not quite as punchy (a little smoother), but it rolls for a longer time than the new one. This came as quite a surprise.

Anyhow, I switched out the foams for rubber tires. I believe they're GPM 40's in front and Atomic 20's (straight grooves, not AW groove) in back. And wow... mad rear traction. For anybody who's raced an MR02 on waxed hardwood, you guys all know that without the right tire setup it's just a spinfest. This car's totally different. I don't have enough front grip! I tried to powerslide it around the corners, and it's very easy to control the tail end of the car using the throttle. When you nail the throttle the tail slips out a bit, then it catches itself and progressively straightens out, just like a textbook rally drift. Quite delightful to watch.

Since these flex plates have been broken in, they're just about perfect. The full soft setting creates too much understeer and full stiff makes for a touch of four-wheel-drift. I need to get a set of front 30 and 20deg tires (maybe 10's too in case we have that much grip) so I can evaluate the overall traction balance on RCP, where there will be enough grip to make the car understeer even more.

Going to the local track soon to officially thrash teh car and get some data.
Last edited by color0 on Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greyscale Racing
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

Well, here's what's been going on for a bit... I need to finish these kits up and send them out to my teammates so we can put together some good RCP and Ozite base setups.

The green G10 parts have NOT been finished yet, so please don't complain about the edges yet.

And then some Delrin parts. The surfaces do look kinda funny in this picture, but I assure you they are perfectly flat. It has to do with the way a spinning endmill bit glides over the solid chunk of Delrin.

That's all for now, I got a busy night and week ahead of me.
Greyscale Racing
color0
bitPlaya'

Post by color0 »

And the products:

Not quite ready to go yet but getting there. Edge quality is the main issue left to resolve, otherwise these parts are dimensionally good and very strong.
Greyscale Racing
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

VERY NICE Color0!!!!!!

You got it did!!!!! :-o
I hope this brings lots of revenue to you. If you haven't already, PATENT!!
Certain other online shops are "idea borrowers"

I'm really glad to see this completed :-D
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Hey, I just had a thought...not that you don't have enough on your plate right now but...sice this is a cad thing and you're using a cnc mill couldn't you use the same design and scale it to different scales pretty easily? Like say a 1/10 version, maybe a 1/36 version using micro-t parts. Maybe a teny-tiny 1/64th and some guys here could adapt some mico stuff...I've got a zap se I'd be willin to canabilze. :grin: Maybe scaling is harder than I imagine...I am completely illiterate when it comes to machine work. :-(
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand