Holy shit, what a weekend

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up electric onroad RCs.
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Holy shit, what a weekend

Post by Murdoch »

I didn't bother with writing this up til today (tonight) because it's all just sunk in and the pics are now online.

Damn.. wow.. where to start? okay, how about the beginning (yes i know, lame joke. :P )

Wednesday I do whatever I can to finish the paintjob that just did not go well over the past.. month. It's a blue and silver RX8 that was supposed to be much nicer and sharper than it turned out. first time trying out a new liquid mask and will now be the last time. I did nail the blue I wanted. it looks spectacular in the light. God I love this iridescent blue backed by chrome.

Thursday I pack up and ready the car as best I can for the two day event, and friday I'm on the road. That night, I get to a friends to crash for the night and the second leg of the trip. a two hour trip turned into five because of blasted traffic and construction delays. :o

Right.. with that out of the way, We get our stuff packed up and I swing out and grab another buddy who was going. we get there at about noon to setup and ready for the competition the following day. We get our stuff unpacked, set up, and we are on the track within the hour. Most of the time was spent on the fun track to get setup issues worked out.

I then start trying out the competition track. It's a large sweeper followed by two 180's to the finish line. Scoring zones are marked out at the edge and apex of each corner with entry borders marked off in green.

In this competition, points are awarded for aggression, angle, speed and proximity to walls.

As day one winds down, I make sure I finish up the business for that day. Prizes from maxamps are in and it's looking good. one 6000mah lipo for first prize and a half dozen shirts. I go grab the prizes from t-bang hobby tech shortly after. Motors, batteries, spring things, battery bars, comm drops, decals and a few other bits that I can't exactly remember.

Day two, the competition.

This started with sixteen drivers (lower turnout than expected) all in a single elimination style scoring system. I draw one of the worst drifters there. He's running a 19t equivalent brushless and I have a 27t brushed motor. With the way this guy was drifting, he had too much power for the track and just could not carve a line. He ends up taking himself out in the first turn and I advance to the semi-finals.

and luck would have it, I draw the former DK...

Time to bring out the A game.

We line up. he's the follow car. I give it everything. massive angle, mashed throttle and I just hang the fuck on. I cut through the first sweeper with maybe an inch between my rear and the wall. Into the last half and I get the nose damn close to the other wall. Hold it through the straight with huge angle throughout. Second corner comes up. Feint and slow down for the setup. Can't pin the throttle but I hold huge angle. Into the third corner where I have a habit of hitting the wall at the last half. I back off on angle and throttle and float through the last half. pin the throttle for huge angle across the finish.

huge point total and the highest for that competition so far.

Now we switch positions. he leads, I follow.

and this is where it all goes wrong. I do what I can to keep as close as I can but I had too much angle in the first half of the corner and I end up eating the wall halfway through. That cost me big. from first to ninth big.

It kind of sucks being eliminated that quick but I suppse that's racing for you. After that happened, I decided to take a tour of the rest of the show.

All in all, I'm just glad I was able to stay in the top ten.

We had a professional photographer there taking pictures so I didn't really need my camera there. He posted the link to the staggering amount of pictures he snapped.

http://imageevent.com/markatal/one10drift
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Those are some cool pics! I love the drift trains :-) It sounds like a great weekend. BTW are you in one of the people pictures? I'm hoping its not picture 56, the one with the guy blowing another guy in public. :-)
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

nah. i'm the guy wearing the blue shirt.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

That blue really pops in the light. I like that El Camino, but that's the RC scaler in me. :lol:
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

It looks like it was a pretty cool event, where was it?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

It would be at the Chilliwack heritage park in Chilliwack.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

You looked really enthused in that pic at the table. :lol:
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

That El Camino is bad ass. I love that.

I wouldn't give up on the liquid mask right away. I was frustrated with it first too, but the more I use it the more I like it. Still though some designs I need to cut on a flat surface, as it would be impossible for me to do a decent job inside the body. So now when I'm imagining a paint job, I ask myself whether or not I can get away with liquid mask. What kind of problems were you having with it?

Looks like a fun event, even if you don't look super-excited in the pics. :lol:
(I rarely show my excitement either.)

I saw a Sportwerks Recoil on the table. Was that a giveaway? Any interest in those? Cause I'll tell you, I have the Tailwhip, and I think it's really cool, and drifts pretty good. I kind of want to put the Recoil tires on and see what kind of racer it is.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

crazydave wrote:That El Camino is bad ass. I love that.

I wouldn't give up on the liquid mask right away. I was frustrated with it first too, but the more I use it the more I like it. Still though some designs I need to cut on a flat surface, as it would be impossible for me to do a decent job inside the body. So now when I'm imagining a paint job, I ask myself whether or not I can get away with liquid mask. What kind of problems were you having with it?
yea the brand I used was this real shiete stuff that had a habit of curling when the waterbased paint hit it. But now I have some bob divley's stuff and can't wait to use it.
Looks like a fun event, even if you don't look super-excited in the pics. :lol:
(I rarely show my excitement either.)
going to sleep at two in the morning and then having to get up at 7 does that to you. :lol:
I saw a Sportwerks Recoil on the table. Was that a giveaway? Any interest in those? Cause I'll tell you, I have the Tailwhip, and I think it's really cool, and drifts pretty good. I kind of want to put the Recoil tires on and see what kind of racer it is.
yep, sure was. it was set up as a 'pick your own prize' thing.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

going to sleep at two in the morning and then having to get up at 7 does that to you. :lol:

At Crawlapalooza I went to sleep at 3:30, and woke up at 6:30, then I fell asleep in the drivers meeting at 7:00!

Sounds like to you had a fun weekend, pictures are really cool lookin'.
1000+ post of BS.
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Re:

Post by Murdoch »

CaboWabo wrote:You looked really enthused in that pic at the table. :lol:
I was so excited, I could hardly contain myself. 8)