Best way to weigh down ZZ?

Getting bad reception? Got questions about motors, gears, and batteries? Learn how to make it go faster, roll smoother, and more in here.
nuggetz

Best way to weigh down ZZ?

Post by nuggetz »

I got one of the new Xmod micro zip zaps and the darn thing just does donuts on my hardwood floor. Fastest stock motor I've ever seen from a ZZ. Anyway, I was thinking about ways to weigh it down without making it look retarded. Any ideas? Anyone else experience this with the new micro xmods? Runs good on low carpet but my house is all hardwood. I even taped a 9 volt battery to it and it was still running faster than a stock zz. Whack.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

check out getting one of the older ZipZap tire hop up kits..... they had some softer compounds, I think.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

my guess is you need to freshly mop the floors before you start, even the tiniest bit of dust will make for a slippery surface.

failing that you could try a die cast metal body.
i used to be cool
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Weren't some of the pimps cutting the foam pen grips to make their own foam tires? I remember seeing it somewhere??? Or you could always get slot car foams...that should help a little. The weight would help forward traction but when you go to turn it would hurt because of the momentum.

If you really want to add weight and you wanted to make a really trick bit, you could carefully cut off the bottom of the chassis and cut a thin piece of lead to match. Then, JB Weld it into place and you would have lots of weight ...and it would be super low. :???: Or maybe a fishing weight smashed to fit inside the body? :???:
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

betty.k wrote:my guess is you need to freshly mop the floors before you start, even the tiniest bit of dust will make for a slippery surface.

failing that you could try a die cast metal body.
I agree, when I ran my micros, I would get on my hands and knees and keep wiping the floor down with a sponge and degreaser until it was tacky, then I would use degreaser on my tires until they were tacky. I just moved into a place with ceramic tiles, and broke out with my micros again. Sucks because now I got a lot of floor to scrub, then in the end it didn't matter because the cracks between the tiles cause the car to shift direction every 16 inches. :-?
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
nuggetz

Post by nuggetz »

I think you guys might be right about the dirty floors. I even put the soft compound slicks on the car and it still spins out and I see that the tires have accumulated a lot of white dust on them. I pretty much have every tire made for ZZ's and micros. I think its just a matter of traction. I will use some windex today and scrub down a nice section of floor to test. I wish I had 10X10 feet sheet of fine grit sandpaper to race on :-) I tried to race on construction paper and that seemed to work well with my other zips but I didn't try the rocket on it.
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

crazydave wrote:I agree, when I ran my micros, I would get on my hands and knees and keep wiping the floor down with a sponge and degreaser until it was tacky, then I would use degreaser on my tires until they were tacky. I just moved into a place with ceramic tiles, and broke out with my micros again. Sucks because now I got a lot of floor to scrub, then in the end it didn't matter because the cracks between the tiles cause the car to shift direction every 16 inches. :-?
Sounds like you need an offroad Zip.... :-o
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Do these have the motor limiting resistor like the previous generation (Cars/Xformer) ZZ?

If not, throw a resistor in between PCB and Motor. Or if you want to be trick and can find one small enough values, a variable resistor.
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'