mini z racing is back in melbourne!

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
betty.k
bitPimp

mini z racing is back in melbourne!

Post by betty.k »

i recently heard of a real deal 1:28 scale track in my hood and it's only a 15 minute walk from my house!

it's called "gigspeed" and it's basically a hobby shop/ cafe/ race track set up in an old gas station, the garage is in use as a tyre change shop for 1:1's.

the hobby shop stocks a full range of iwavers (the new ones, 02m) and hopups including the 4wd monster and a bunch of atomic stuff. also tons of micro stuff like the q steers, bits, heli's and heaps of diecast collectible tomy stuff too. then there's a bunch of cheapy chinese clone type things like 1:8 rock crawlers, 1:10 tourers and even a baja 5b clone. it's basically a mini "toyeast in the glory days"! it's really hard to go there without spending a fortune!

the cafe is pretty basic but they have all the essentials like quick snacks, coffee, cold drinks and ice cream and for something harder there's a liquor store across the road :-o

but the crowning glory is the 1:28 track. it's one of those toyeast inopo rcp copies consisting of the interlocking foam tiles. there's also a lap timing system which can be hooked up to a projector for real time data.

i had to blow the cobwebs off my z, it's been over a year since i pulled it out! some of my foam tyres have started cracking up and most of my batteries won't take a charge so i had to buy some more and switch to soft rubber on the rear to get the required grip on the foam surface.

anyway, enough yacking. here's the pics.

and i did the laziest paintjob ever on a new shell for the occaision

me an' ph2t will be heading down tonight to show the locals what it's all about :smile:
i used to be cool
sidewinder
bitProphet

Re: mini z racing is back in melbourne!

Post by sidewinder »

Looks pretty cool. I love the idea of a tire store having a hobby shop section. I didn't think they were still making the iWavers... I'll have to see if they're available over here. If not, maybe we could make some money importing them :smile: Of course shipping cost would probably kill that idea :-( Oh well, have fun at the new track.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

betty.k wrote:me an' ph2t will be heading down tonight to show the locals what it's all about :smile:

That's what I'm talkin bout.... That's a fuckin sign if I ever saw one.

You 2 heading up there is kinda like Rick James going to meet some people that just found out about coke.... :-)

Bastards. :mad:

But on a side note and somethin to make YOU a bit jealous, is the Cigar City Tattoo convention is in Tampa all weekend..... :razz:

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Cigar city :???: I'll bet that explains Hava-Tampa cigars... I used to sell high end cigars (not hava-tampas) and I never heard Tampa described as the Cigar City, I guess you learn something new all the time.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

betty.k wrote:i recently heard of a real deal 1:28 scale track in my hood and it's only a 15 minute walk from my house!
Lucky! That's not fair. I'm not talking to you anymore. :x
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

well that was a blast, first time i've ever raced with more than 3 people let alone raced with a proper lap counting system!

they had cool little transponders and everything. as usual ph2t spent more time on the workbench than the track! :lol:

i spent some time finalising my rubber preference, finished up using 10 degree atomic tyres all 'round and they worked out fine.
as everyone else was running atomic stock motors me an' ph2t bought 1 each

i gotta say they're a lot hotter than the name suggests!

here's a pic of the chassis with transponder attached

and i shot some crappy cellphone vid too
http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpGa ... =373&pos=1

or dl here:
http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpGa ... gspeed.wmv
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

You forgot one important detail, how well did you place? :lol:

Well the most important detail is that you had fun, but winning is kind of an object of the game too. :-o
crazydave's Gallery
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

out of a field of about 5 i came 2nd twice and 3rd once. but it wasn't too serious, although there was one guy who came first everytime. he was well in control and broke his lap record on the night, 4.33 seconds!
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

betty.k wrote:out of a field of about 5 i came 2nd twice and 3rd once. but it wasn't too serious, although there was one guy who came first everytime. he was well in control and broke his lap record on the night, 4.33 seconds!
Awesome! See, I would've been bragging about that. :-o
crazydave's Gallery
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

any chance of seeing the MRCG there?
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

Murdoch wrote:any chance of seeing the MRCG there?
awright, what's a "mrcg"? is that the fancy color0 chassis? if so, no plans as yet.
i used to be cool
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

betty = (mrcg)FAIL.

I've got one murdoch, currently putting it together. You'll see it down there soon....

Bet Bet, can't come tomorrow. Been working heavily this week and just got back from Warrnambool from seeing my dying uncle. So it's family time this weekend....

I thought you were giving me those rims :? you also still owe me for the motor... :???:

ph2t.
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

ph2t wrote:I thought you were giving me those rims :? you also still owe me for the motor... :???:

ph2t.
the little fella wanted those rims on it, i couldn't say no! i've got some other kyosho rims you can have though.
i'll fix you up for the motor next meetup :-o
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

betty.k wrote:
ph2t wrote:I thought you were giving me those rims :? you also still owe me for the motor... :???:

ph2t.
the little fella wanted those rims on it, i couldn't say no! i've got some other kyosho rims you can have though.
i'll fix you up for the motor next meetup :-o
Yeah, and don't forget that sack you fronted. :razz:
crazydave's Gallery