RC10GT 2.5 Swap

All discussions about 1:18 scale and up nitro on & off road RCs.
SHAUN
bitDisciple

RC10GT 2.5 Swap

Post by SHAUN »

Heres my RC10GT, I traded my airplane for it a few years ago, when I got it, it had a O.S. .12 CV in it. I've done a few things to it now, they only hard thing about the swap was coming up with a way to do the throttle/brake linkage, I tried a few different ways, but it works best this way.

Chassis/ Suspension
Proline Speed Hawg tires
HPI Star Wheels
MIP CVD's
Aluminum Knuckles
RPM Front A-arms
RPM Rear A-arms
RPM Rear Bulk Head
RPM Rear Carrier
RPM Zero Degree Rear Arm Mounts
RPM Wide Front Bumper
RPM Receiver Box
RPM Heavy Duty Rod Ends
RPM Delrin Shock Pivot Balls
RPM Bellcrank Center Link
Factory Team Front Carbon Shock Tower
Factory Team Rear Carbon Shock Tower
Associated 2.55 Springs all around

For the motor, I got the 2.5 from a buddy for free.
Specs;
New Bearings
Non Pull Start Crank
Rebuilt Carb
2.5R Piston and Sleeve
PowerTune head
Rustler Header
Resonator Pipe
MotorSaver Filter

Electronics
1600mAh Integy RX pack
JR NES 507 throttle Servo
Novak XXL FM RX
Futaba 2PL-FM TX
Duratrax High Torque Metal Gear for steering

Left to do;
Robinson Racing Hardened Steel Idler Gear
Robinson Racing Hardened Aluminum Diff. Gear
JR ST126MG servos(For steering and throttle)
Traxxas 30mm Steel Flywheel
Lunsford Racing Punisher Titanium Turnbuckle Kit
Traxxas Clutch
Traxxas Clutch Bell
Motor saver 90 Degree Base

Pictures :D

Just barely fits
1000+ post of BS.
payaso
bitPimp

Re: RC10GT 2.5 Swap

Post by payaso »

Awesome. Looks clean as hell, too.

I wouldn't go with the steel fly wheel from TRX, as it's way too much rotational mass for the little engine to spool up.

If you can squeeze it in, get the 40mm alluminum on instead. http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-4142X-1-Fly ... 7C294%3A50" target="_blank

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
SHAUN
bitDisciple

Post by SHAUN »

payaso wrote:Awesome. Looks clean as hell, too.

I wouldn't go with the steel fly wheel from TRX, as it's way too much rotational mass for the little engine to spool up.

If you can squeeze it in, get the 40mm alluminum on instead. http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-4142X-1-Fly ... 7C294%3A50" target="_blank

Thank you.

I have the 40mm, but its huge, and I'll have to cut the chassis alot to get it to fit.
1000+ post of BS.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Or put it on a lathe with an experienced machinist.

Looks great Shaun, What body are you going to run on it?
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Looks incredible, Shaun! Very very cool!

I bought a GT2 RS a few weeks ago - what a mess this is turning out to be :o Sometimes the pins in the fuel tank that hold the fuel pick-up in the center of the tank break. One of mine was broke right out of the box! I didn't realize all this back then. Anyway, the fuel pickup will eventually wander and get cocked in the corner of the tank as the truck hits hard terrain and if the pickup hose gets kinked, you will run lean - needle adjustment won't help, fuel is restricted. Bottom line, I may of lost pinch now.

Not the end of the world but just a shitty let down. I gotta say though, when the RC10 WAS running, it was a blast on my little backyard track. Fuck it - if I have to pay the engine swap fee, I will...I'm hooked. I just wish someone made an after market tank for em. :twisted:

What wheels and tires are you running on that - it looks freakin beautiful!! :)

Edit - Never mind my silly question - I see now from your list.

PF
Last edited by PimpFloyd on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

PimpFloyd wrote:Looks incredible, Shaun! Very very cool!

I bought a GT2 RS a few weeks ago - what a mess this is turning out to be :o Sometimes the pins in the fuel tank that hold the fuel pick-up in the center of the tank break. One of mine was broke right out of the box! I didn't realize all this back then. Anyway, the fuel pickup will eventually wander and get cocked in the corner of the tank as the truck hits hard terrain and if the pickup hose gets kinked, you will run lean - needle adjustment won't help, fuel is restricted. Bottom line, I may of lost pinch now.

Not the end of the world but just a shitty let down. I gotta say though, when the RC10 WAS running, it was a blast on my little backyard track. Fuck it - if I have to pay the engine swap fee, I will...I'm hooked. I just wish someone made an after market tank for em. :twisted:

What wheels and tires are you running on that - it looks freakin beautiful!! :)

PF

You're coming along quite nicely, too. That's awesome. :-o

Mother fuck an after market tank, dude. This is bitPimps and we make the shit we want to work, work.

I wanted a better tank for my Maxx and the OFNA 1/8 buggy tank works fantanstic and has for a few years. There are only 2 or 3 things on my Maxx that came with it. The rest is shit I wanted on it.

Make it work, dude. I know you can.

payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

You're coming along quite nicely, too. That's awesome
LOL! Yeah - aint I. May have set a record for destroying a new nitro engine in under two weeks!
Mother fuck an after market tank, dude. This is bitPimps and we make the shit we want to work, work.
Actually - I did modify the tank. I drilled two holes on the top, drove two nylon screws through it to keep the the pick-up tube centered, then sealed with CA and then a liberal coating of RTV. Sealed the pressure nipple too because the have been knwon to leak as well.

Engine still was a bitch to start after this, wouldn't draw fuel and when it did start, ran for about 2 minutes till it warmed, then quit. I'm still not convinced it's toast yet though. It seems to have pinch with the glow plug out and has a shit load of compression with it in. I removed the engine last night for inspection and discovered a shit load of "castor snot" in the pipe. It may of been plugging up my pressure hose - jury's still out on that one.

I should have a new tank on the way from AE under warranty so I will wait for it, clean everything up and try it again. If it still runs poorly I'll send the engine in to AE for a post-mortum. I'll plea my case about the tank issue but it in the end I'll have'em fix the engine one way or another. If the second tank is shit then I'll hunt for a different unit altogether and mod :cool:

I was out at my track tonight running the Bandit, I could smell the lingering nitro spooge in the grass - I miss the GT2 already.

All that said, my track is now down to hard pack, the Bandit is a blast out there on that. I'm getting to the point where I can almost drift in corners - tonight one of the rear wheels came off LOL! Luckily I found the lug nut and the axle pin was still in the axle - lucked out!

Sorry for hi-jacking - I'm over tired and over caffinated...

Nice ride Shaun!
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

PimpFloyd wrote:Engine still was a bitch to start after this, wouldn't draw fuel and when it did start, ran for about 2 minutes till it warmed, then quit. I'm still not convinced it's toast yet though. It seems to have pinch with the glow plug out and has a shit load of compression with it in. I removed the engine last night for inspection and discovered a shit load of "castor snot" in the pipe. It may of been plugging up my pressure hose - jury's still out on that one.
Just keep reminding yourself, if you got fuel, air, compression, ignition, it's gotta work. If it don't work, just start eliminating the variables.

You said it has compression, so that's out. Make sure your air filter is clean, I always forget the air part, and one time I was frustrated, because I didn't see the air filter got clogged with fuel when the truck was turned upside down. Then there's the glow plug. You may have wore it out when you were running too hot, they're only a few bucks, might as well replace it, I keep spares around. That just leaves the fuel, and that can be tricky getting the right amount in there, but I'm sure you can work through it. You could do the pinch test, but I've got pretty good at listening and observing my motors. If its running rough, and loading up before it stalls at idle, the LSN is probably too rich. Pull the glow plug when it stalls and check if it is wet with fuel. If so it is definitely too rich. Blow out the plug, and burn off the extra fuel with your glow starter. Then lean the LSN about an 1/8th turn. But since your motor is not wanting to draw fuel, assuming the tank is ok, I'm guessing it is probably too lean, or you're not getting enough pressure. I would guess you could pressure test your tank by dunking it under water, and blowing in the hoses.

I also like to turn up the throttle trim on my Tx just until the it's running at temp. I forgot to turn it down in my video of the Mad Beast, you can hear its idling hard, that's bad on the clutch shoes. Any rate, I'm just getting the hang of nitro, hopefully I was helpful.

I was out at my track tonight running the Bandit, I could smell the lingering nitro spooge in the grass - I miss the GT2 already.
Isn't that smell addicting? When I'm out with my nitro cars all weekend, and I get back to work on Monday, I keep thinking I smell it, and I want to go home and play. :lol:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

crazydave wrote:
PimpFloyd wrote:

Isn't that smell addicting? When I'm out with my nitro cars all weekend, and I get back to work on Monday, I keep thinking I smell it, and I want to go home and play. :lol:
Earth murders! Don't you realize that you're killing billions of rare slugs and as a result the oceans will rise, the jet stream will shift and the planet will become a desert--a very wet flooded desert. Don't you care about the children?

Well, it made as much sense as anything Al Gore's ever said.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

Fock 'em - Nitro makes the grass grow :twisted:
Well, it made as much sense as anything Al Gore's ever said.
Thanks for the "Inconvenient Flashback" SW - I still can't believe he got a Nobel Prize!? :?
Isn't that smell addicting? When I'm out with my nitro cars all weekend, and I get back to work on Monday, I keep thinking I smell it, and I want to go home and play.
I swear I smell it everywhere now - it gets in your blood and makes you grin for no reason. :-D
ibjamn
bitDisciple

Post by ibjamn »

PimpFloyd wrote:
I swear I smell it everywhere now - it gets in your blood and makes you grin for no reason. :-D
The sound gets addicting too. A 10 - 12 pound shin missle sounds like a crotch rocket on speed.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

ibjamn wrote:
PimpFloyd wrote:
The sound gets addicting too. A 10 - 12 pound shin missle sounds like a crotch rocket on speed.
That relates right back to what I was telling my wife yesterday.

I'm desperately trying to find someone to drive one of my cars, so I have someone to play with, and I suggested one of my wife's friend's husband, and she said, "No, Red is more of a motorcycle guy." And I replied, "Then he should love these cars because the engines are basically just little motorcycle engines."

You wouldn't think it would be so hard to find someone willing to play with RCs, but the problem is I need someone who's not going wreck my cars, and I realized the reason my buddy Andy always wrecks is because he has no control of his right hand since his accident, and my neighbors are always drunk by the middle of the day. Others have to work today. I did meet a guy a couple buildings over that just got a Rustler, but I only met him once and he seemed a little intimidated by me.

Well that related to start off with, but I guess I'm getting off track. Anyways, times like this, I wish you guys were here, I know I could count on one of you guys to play RC with me.
crazydave's Gallery
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

crazydave wrote:I did meet a guy a couple buildings over that just got a Rustler, but I only met him once and he seemed a little intimidated by me.
Seriously? :shock: After seeing pictures of you I can't imagine why, you look friendly enough, maybe he's afraid of longer hair? I get people intimidated by me on occasion, which is dumb it's usually the tiny guys you have to worry about. :lol:...my friend Jeff (no, not Geoff) is 5'4" and is constantly picking fights. But he's a lovable little asshole.

:sad: Oh, that sounded really gay didn't it?
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpFloyd »

WOW! You'd think the "Rusty" guy would be clamering to be running with another RC guy!?

All my neighbors are retired but the one next door has a son in his late 20's - he mentioned that his son used to race RC. Well, I ran into the son this weekend and he asked me about my track. Turns out he still has his RC10 that he used to race!

He said it needed front and rear A arms - I turned him on to RPM because they make replacements for the older RC10- I think I got his interest piqued! I told him he can use my backyard track ANYTIME he wants ;-)

On a different note - I got my replacement tank from ae this weekend. I just got back from the backyard - it runs great! I was able to consistantly keep the head temps between 220 -225 with the body on - a first!

I smell like nitro now :twisted:
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

sidewinder wrote:
crazydave wrote:I did meet a guy a couple buildings over that just got a Rustler, but I only met him once and he seemed a little intimidated by me.
Seriously? :shock: After seeing pictures of you I can't imagine why, you look friendly enough, maybe he's afraid of longer hair? I get people intimidated by me on occasion, which is dumb it's usually the tiny guys you have to worry about. :lol:...my friend Jeff (no, not Geoff) is 5'4" and is constantly picking fights. But he's a lovable little asshole.

:sad: Oh, that sounded really gay didn't it?
Actually, he had long hair. I think he was intimidated because he just started, I'm like a fanatic or something. He also said he's more of an internet guy, so maybe he don't like to get out much. Ironic, me either.

Good to hear you got it working PF. :-o
crazydave's Gallery