Bad news, bad day--update 3/12/2010

Get the latest and greatest scoops on what's going on in the world around you, find out what's hot and what's not fo' sho!
PimpFloyd
bitGangsta'

Re: Bad news, bad day--update 3/12/2010

Post by PimpFloyd »

Well...I guess you'll have to see what the "experimental treatment" is all about and then weight the whole thing. It sounds real positive though and I'm happy to hear this!

I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV...that being said have you seen this:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diverticulitis/

When in doubt, the Mayo Clinic gets cream of the crop from med schools...just something to think about.

All that aside I sure am glad to see you here and to hear about your progress! Although, I have to admit...you seem alot more "normal" when you're running a fever so it's kinda weird :? :-)

Keep us posted, Jim! You have a lot friends out here pulling for you!
45tr0
bitNinja

Post by 45tr0 »

All the best Man - my Mum went through similar surgery about 5 years ago at age 60 for bowel cancer. She was in the high-risk stakes too due to obesity and blood pressure issues; came out the other side okay thank Christ. Actually got healthier and lighter after her treatment than I'd seen her since I was a kid. She's kicked cancer a second time since then - this time in her bones.

If this other treatment will buy you some time to sort out lifestyle issues that up your stakes, try and do as much as you can. Not saying you have to live like a saint (fuck that!) but if there's ever a time to change the worst of some bad habits, now'd be it. :-o

Oh, and we expect you to be around here kicking noobs for a while yet!
"You guys are Wack"
"Wiggity Wack?"
"Nope, just regular kind"
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

That sounds like a pretty good option, should give you some time to work on getting to a lower risk level.

Any idea what this experimental thing involves?
Jack of all trades, master of none; yet often better than master of one.
-
End genital mutilation, don't circumcise. Restore your fore'
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Thanks guys. I think they have a new drug they are testing to control the activity of the diseased areas and some sort of occasional irrigation (like a super enema I'm guessing).

45, it sounds like your mother is amazing, all my best to her (and you). Part of the risk is my weight, but the real problems stem around some scaring I have from an accident that sliced my stomach open when I was younger. It never did heal properly and apparently it adds to the complications when operating; which has to be an open surgery instead of the laparoscopic procedure. So task one is to lose at least 75 pounds, then they can think of doing something about the damaged area and maybe then do the resection. There are a few other minor things but those are the big ones. But, you know, whatever it takes I'm down for.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

Hey man, just now I got to see this thread month later since your last reply.
I hope you are feeling better.
Stay positive, it really helps.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts.

As for staying positive, well, I'm trying my best...it helps that racing season has started. For a while I didn't expect to get to any more races; I've been to four since April 2nd, and my buddy Jac's son is ripping up the track in a sprint car. I couldn't be prouder of him if he were my own son.

I did get some good news Friday, they did an exploratory mapping of my lower colon and took some samples because they thought all of this might be a result of an aggressive (and fairly rare) cancer. The initial tests are back and there is no sign of any cancer. I'm still waiting on one sample that they are culturing but my doctor doesn't think it will be cancerous. So, I still have some other stuff to deal with, and I'm still going to have some challenges, but at least it's not cancer (at least in the lower part, the upper GI will be in about a month). That's a huge relief since I just watched one of my friends die of colon cancer two years ago...trust me, it's not a good way to die.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
Scorpion
bitPlaya'

Post by Scorpion »

Good to hear they havent found any cancer yet :-o
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Glad it's positive news so far!

any pics from the track? (Sprint cars, not the GI one. ugh!)
-
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

I thought you meant the GI one at first...I'm glad you clarified that. None yet, I haven't had the energy to walk over to the pit side yet, and shooting through the fence just kind of sucks. I'm hoping to get over there soon though.
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Post by HirotoR34 »

That is bad news, but you are in good hands...doctors today really know their shit. I'm not a religious man, but I'll def say a prayer for you. :-o
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

Things got a lot worse for a while, but lately I've been making progress, so I'm actually kind of optimistic. Which, anyone around me knows, I never am about anything. I appreciate the prayers and all, thanks. :-o
frizzen
bitDisciple

Post by frizzen »

Anybody know how he's doing?

Last visited: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:47 am
-