Review: NKOK Boats... I want my $$$ back!

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Review: NKOK Boats... I want my $$$ back!

Post by CaboWabo »

Here's my review of the boats...

They're absolute pieces of shit!

Here's a listing of why they are pieces of shit:
- boat sits slightly tilted in the water
- when pushing forward on one button, the boat turns fine, pushing forward on the opposite button only, the boat goes in a diagonal direction (probably due to the tilt - see above)
- one motor is slightly louder and more powerful than the other (helping it drive in a diagonal direction I'm sure - see above)
- one of my controllers, on one of the reverse buttons, you have to practically massage it and take it out to dinner before it even thinks about actually making contact and sending a signal.
- my other controller won't even accept the frickin antenna! No matter how I align it, hard I press, etc. etc. I even went as far as to open the controller, thinking the plastic around it might be limiting the acceptance of the antenna... nope - not so - it's just a piece of shit that's not been built correctly to the right sizes.
- each controller is run off a 9 volt battery (get out of the dark ages - WTF? a 9 volt?)
- charging stand, which is seperate, takes 4 AA batteries (in case you're keeping count, that's 5 very expensive batteries!)
- there's more to charging... you have a USB type cable that plugs in to the boat, the other end snaps in to the charging base (can we possibley have 1 more thing to screw with before we can actually charge the damn boat?)
- they're slow and not built for modification (though I haven't opened it up yet because I want my money back - the seal isn't made to be broken - though I know it can. inside you'll probably find all hardwired crap that you could do little with)

My overall opinion (in case you didn't read above) - they suck all kinds off donkey balls. Don't waste your money on this cheap, piss poor made, inferior hunk of shit - it was semi-neat for about 2 of the 5 minutes I ran the piece of shit.

Did I mention these things are a piece of shit?
Last edited by CaboWabo on Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
dabigpig
bitGangsta'

Post by dabigpig »

if they refuse to give you're money back i'm looking at you for an autopsy of these boats.
if you post it... i've probably seen it...
-^-_-^
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

believe me, I'm getting my money back whether they want to give it back or not! lol :blazin:
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
Stoli
bitPimp

Post by Stoli »

I coulda told you that NKOK Bits suck so I assumed that most of there products probably do too.

I had 3 different die cast bits and they all sucked ass.

"give my homie his money back or I'ma gonna kick yer arse"

Namuna
bitPimp

Post by Namuna »

Shit C-Dub, I wonder why you got DOGSHITTED.

Both the Boats I got were fine. Maybe the bastards at ToyIsland sold you refurbs or something?
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

ya you musta got a lemonhooptie. mine is fine. and the charging pad is awesome for bits. mine sits in the water nice and flat.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I was talking about it with payaso last night and we're thinking that NKOK makes hit or miss stuff - so you've got a 50% chance it's gonna be okay or a 50% chance it's gonna be crap.
either way, that's not very inspiring or a track record to be proud of.

I man-handled my yellow boats controller and finally fit the frickin antenna in with brute force. Reception isn't nearly as good as the 49 mhz...
I will say this though - it sits in the water much nicer, still a slight keel but not enough to really effect the boats drivability (as it does big time with the red boat). Again, I think this is just a hit or miss scenario.

My red boat won't go straight at all, one motor way over powers the other, causing it to constantly wanna do a left or right loop. Charging stand still sucks too, the yellow charging stand is slightly better, but not by much. The red one, I have to actually hold down with my fingers or the connection won't be made.

Anyways, after my ranting and raving, I calmed down, tested the boats a little...
I'm still pretty disappointed, especially with the red boat.
I don't think they'd be fun by yourself for too long, but if ya had a pal with another boat - then that might be a different story.

Overall, I don't think I trust their products, too flukey for me to gamble on. I don't believe toy-island.com has anything to do with it, though I could be wrong.
joez2872
bitThug

boats

Post by joez2872 »

:-D picked up the the car boat deal at walmart for
$24 ,,,a little high but wanted to try um the truck rips it hauls the boat great and is stil l pretty fast the bot red one like cabo said one motor is loader than the other in the pool it want ok turn a little off here and there but was good only thing is could use sum more speed but hey its one more toy lol :-D :D :-) :cool: GOTTA HAVE YOUR TOYS :-)
( . )( . ) LOL HANG UM HIGH!!!!ROCKEY MT.FEVER LOL!!!
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

saw the boats seperate at walmart for like 15, with the trailer and truck it was like 25.
saw 2 different versions of phat boys r/c's one micro size, the other about 1/16 scale.
bunch of motorworks stuff
nitro bottle cars
they were stacked with all the offshoots
didn't get anything though (unbelievably)
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

i dono dude since i got my se workin all spiffy now i see no need for any other bits.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I hear ya, I've been holding out and not buying for awhile now, but I think that's gonna be ending soon.
the SE's still aren't floating my boat all the way.
they are cool, a nice change, but...

I still have more fun with my bits

I know you've done alot to your SE from what I've read, but I've also read micro_Amps findings, sounds like the SE's are doomed to stay slow with no torque no matter what ya do.
cyco

Post by cyco »

i took my boats apart and found this....

stock duacell
2 hard wired motors
motor works like pcb

and mine bot run great in my hot tub not exatly fast but they still work fine even with a broken off anteanna
foo...