Review: Nikko Micro RC - A bit sized offroader?

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
crazydave
bitPimp

Review: Nikko Micro RC - A bit sized offroader?

Post by crazydave »

So Superfly sent me to Kaybee looking for KIT racers on clearance, and I was right, they didn't have 'em, but I came home with this cool little Nikko car.They had Jeeps and Hummers. I got the Jeep, but kinda wished I grabbed a Hummer.

Here's the crappy controller. I hate the joystick control. I quickly discovered that a Zip Zap, or Motorworks controller works just as well

It is about Zip Zap sized, so it is about bit scale.

It's really quiet, pretty fast, and pretty torquey. More than good enough for a little carpet runner. Tried to pull wheelies when slamming from reverse to forwards. My only complaint about the performance was the wide turns. (I did some trimming, we're gonna see if that fixes that)

It has a bit type spring and magnet steering, that performs about as well as a bits, but with those fat tires, so I had to tear it apart to see what's up.

With the removal of one screw the front bumper thing comes off. That'll stay off

Four more screws and the body comes off. Notice how it even has the sway bar type front end, with sides that wrap around the chassis.

Three more screws and the cover comes off. Now we see where the torque is coming from, check out that fattie motor.

One more screw and the front end'd cover comes off, revealing a slightly different system. There is a fat spring on the bttom of the chassis, it like to pop off it's post, and takes hours to get back in, do not even look at it funny. Then sitting on top of that is the steering arm that is filled with 2 magnets that are the diameter of bit, but a whole lot thicker. The cover holds a massive steering coil. that has much thicker wire than a bits.

My pic sucks, and I'm not going near that spring again to take another, so I labeled it. :lol:

Bottom line: If you ever bought a $20 Nikko car when you were a kid, and felt ripped off, this is gonna vaguely remind you of that, cause it seems just like a tiny Nikko car in design. The difference here being, this cost 10 bucks, and actually performs.

The real value here is the hop up potential. I think Some FETs would get this thing poppin', and if I dared to go dual cell it would screamin'.

Better watch out Betty, this bitch is gonna be comin' after you next. :-)
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

damn, built like a brute - excellent review crazydave.
any chance any of those parts (fat magnet) can fit into the bits?
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
Sdog
bitPimp

Post by Sdog »

Yeah....nice review. Are those tires rubber or plastic?
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

do they have a skyline one?
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

CaboWabo wrote:damn, built like a brute - excellent review crazydave.
any chance any of those parts (fat magnet) can fit into the bits?
Not without some big time surgery. :lol:

I'm thinking the big ol' fat magnet might be good in my drag car, because it would limit the steering to the point where it would barely move. That can be handy when trying to stay in a straight line

As far as the big motor, coil, and spring goes, they are way too big, I'm thinking I might have to build a custom chassis utilizing the front and back ends.
Sdog wrote: Are those tires rubber or plastic?
The tires are soft rubber, and grip fairly good on all surfaces. The rubber is thin, and the wheel is mostly plastic. I like 'em.

hogjowlz wrote:do they have a skyline one?
Ummm, no, but the bodies are the same scale as Zip Zap, so you could make it one...if that's what you really wanted. ;)
:lol:

*Here ya go hog, just for you. 2fast 2Furious even.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

wow dude!!!! r it really faster with da skyline body!!!!! i think skylinez r awesome!!!!
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

so this thing actually steers like a bit?? ill have to get one this weekend.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

damn! they look nice! i best get me one of themm at some point! :eek:
i used to be cool
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

croikey bruce!!! well see what we can do. gota find em myself first.
kvik369
bitPlaya'

Post by kvik369 »

If anyone is near a walmart, check out the discount/sales section in the toy section. I got the hummer and the jeep for 7 bucks apiece in PA.
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

kvik369 wrote:If anyone is near a walmart, check out the discount/sales section in the toy section. I got the hummer and the jeep for 7 bucks apiece in PA.
I always grin whenever I see the word Hummer and a dollar amount in the same sentance. :lol:
Suck My Bits
:twisted:©2005 Finks fucked your girlfriend in highschool inc
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

kvik: where in pa are you? i was at a walmart in pa last night and they had no nikko itrucks. but they do have bigger offroaders that actually steer. 15bucks. ill probably grab one weds.
kvik369
bitPlaya'

Post by kvik369 »

I'm in pocono lake but they didn't have them near me. I got them in Whitehall, Pa. And what trucks are you talking about?
Sdog
bitPimp

Post by Sdog »

I was in the mall yesterday and stopped in KB. They still have the Jeep and Humvee...$9.99.

I just want to say what's up to Kvik, my Northeast PA brutha. I'm just south of you in SE PA...about 35 min. south of Allenown. Hog....what were you doing in PA?
kvik369
bitPlaya'

Post by kvik369 »

sup dog