Review: i wavered for a while but in the end....

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
betty.k
bitPimp

Review: i wavered for a while but in the end....

Post by betty.k »

well i've begun the downward spiral and got me an i waver!
first let me say that i was under no illusions as to the difference in quality between kyosho and i waver. and i've never really used a kyosho so it's hard for me to compare the 2.
but i'm verry happy with this little baby! stock with alkalines it moves quite well, obviously not super quick but not slow enough to be unhappy. i also got the escalation motor which i installed and it's a bit better, say about 20% more speed. the wheels are abit wonky, one was very bad, but i managed to straighten it out enough and i expect this to be solved with bearings.
the diff is pretty crappy but i wasn't expecting miracles and at least it works.
the propo is quite nice, not as many steps as a mr01 but still plenty enough, say about 40 steps each way. for some reason reverse is slightly slower than forwards, not a problem so far.
i got the lancer evo and porche bodies and i gotta say the decals are the worst! most of them came off the lancer when i touched them! no problem for me, it's a lot better than i expected. i just washed them off and i can paint it if i want anyway. if you've seen my bits you'll know i'm not to precious when it comes to bodies!!
there were a couple of things missing from my set, the pinion set and the low motor mount. bit of a bummer as they're parts i'd like to use right away. but that's between me and toyeast.
so all in all, $25us for a pretty good mr01 ripoff is fine with me even with the odd lack of quality. i can just upgrade to quality parts when i need to (which i will!). i'll try to get some pics up on the weekend. :smile:
Last edited by betty.k on Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i used to be cool
sessiz
bitPimp

Re: i wavered for a while but in the end....

Post by sessiz »

betty.k wrote: the propo is quite nice, not as many steps as a mr01 but still plenty enough, say about 40 steps each way.
How'ld ya come to that conclusion betty? :???:
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i have driven a z before and the steering is very smooth, i can't pick out individual steps with the steering. but i can with the i waver, 40 is just a really loose estimate. and my boyfriend charlie goku said it's 40 so it must be true! :-)
i used to be cool
hogjowlz
bitPimp

Post by hogjowlz »

well its butter compared to the xmod.
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

betty.k wrote:. and my boyfriend charlie goku said it's 40 so it must be true! :-)
8-)
PimpIke
bitGangsta'

Post by PimpIke »

looks like amitoj has been to massachussets and san fransisico...
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

betty.k wrote:.... my boyfriend charlie goku said it's 40 so it must be true! :-)
That settles it then. :-)

Seriously though, if the res on an epoch is 512 and the iwaver tx can control it, wouldn't that mean that the iwaver had the same res ? :???: (making it the same as a mini z)
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i dunno crap about rc electronics but from what i've observed i have a suspicion that the quality of the resolution lies in the rx. i'm yet to try the i waver tx with a mr01 or vice versa yet. but i suspect resolution on the cars will be the same whichever tx is used. i've tried it on the old nikko buggy i've got at the moment and the resolution was the same as the nikko tx. more tests soon.... :???:
i used to be cool
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

sessiz wrote:
betty.k wrote:.... my boyfriend charlie goku said it's 40 so it must be true! :-)
That settles it then. :-)

Seriously though, if the res on an epoch is 512 and the iwaver tx can control it, wouldn't that mean that the iwaver had the same res ? :???: (making it the same as a mini z)
Not as far as the Rx goes. It would depend on the servos.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

What I'm saying is why would iwaver make a transmitter with high res propo and not the reciever? :???:
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

sessiz wrote:What I'm saying is why would iwaver make a transmitter with high res propo and not the reciever? :???:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :-( but it's propo enough for me.
i found it had to believe that 4.8V worth of nimh's would be better than 6V of alkalines, but i stand way corrected! :eek: alkalines were getting warm fairly quickly but the nimh's stay relatively cool which leads me to believe that nimh have much less internal resistance, and can therefore deliver more current. i'd be interested to see how nicads would fare in this baby.
already had some casualties! :hurt: both shells have a few scrapes, i busted the chassis where the body attaches and a knuckle is broken where it meets the tie rod. but no sweat, superglue fixed the chassis and it still steers fairly well with the busted knuckle. i really should stop hitting bumps with this thing! :lol:
i used to be cool
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

yeah yeah, i'm double posting, but it's worth it. my butt buddy br2ce just dropped over some spare z stuff for me to try out. so i put the 9t pinion from his mad force on an x speed motor and slipped that baby in there.

:screwed:

this bitch fucken flies now, supposedly faster than a z with the same setup. but that shit don't matter to me so much, what does is the fact that this baby is now easily more than twice as fast and torquey as it was when i pulled it outta the box!! so anyone having trouble with cocksuckers that say i wavers are shit and should be stomped on, send em my way. i'll shove their head so far up their fucken arse they'll look like a snail with limbs :cool:

oh and i've decided to go without mirrors and spoiler on the porsche body....... they rub on the concrete too much!
i used to be cool
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

I heard from someone on MRCC that the reason for not-full-propo in the system is the friction in the servo gears. He got a stock MR-01, and even that only had 40 steps....he says it's cuz of the friction in the gears, so I'm thinking maybe a little greasing or aluminum servo gears would solve the problem?
Bird
bitPimp

Post by Bird »

Son_Gokou wrote:the problem
Personally, I don't look at the resolution of the steering as a problem. I think "full propo" is a bunch of shit, and people who dismiss cars that don't have it are using that as a cop-out to hide their lack of driving skills.

In short, I believe that if you put a Kyosho on the line next to my iWaver, equally hopped-up and prepped, my driving skills will more than make up for the difference in "steps".

'nuff said
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

Bird wrote:
Son_Gokou wrote:the problem
Personally, I don't look at the resolution of the steering as a problem. I think "full propo" is a bunch of shit, and people who dismiss cars that don't have it are using that as a cop-out to hide their lack of driving skills.

In short, I believe that if you put a Kyosho on the line next to my iWaver, equally hopped-up and prepped, my driving skills will more than make up for the difference in "steps".

'nuff said
Word...but I was just suggesting a way to improve the Iwaver's steering. If you're already satisfied, then okay. I'm just curious as to what full propo would be like....