Review: Mustang Mach 1 ZZ SE (brief)

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
Sdog
bitPimp

Review: Mustang Mach 1 ZZ SE (brief)

Post by Sdog »

I picked up a Mustang Mach 1 ZZ SE today and wanted to throw my first impressions up...

The shell is pretty nice. I think this is probably one of the best proportioned shells that RS has put out so far. It looks like they extended the nose a little more than usual which makes the shell look more to scale. In addition, the roofline and fenders are well proportioned compared to previous ZZ models. Some shots:

That's not to say the shell is perfect. Notice how the A-pillar bows out away from the windshield in the following shot. I only noticed it after I took these macro shots and now it bugs me a little, but it is only THAT noticable in the closeups. I can't really say if all of the shells are like this or if it is just mine. Macro shots always seem to really bring out the imperfections in these things:

Of course it could use some lowering....nothing new here:

As far as performance is concerned, it is much quicker than any of my other stock SE's....including my muscle cars. I don't have the other newer SE's (Ford GT and Viper), so I can't compare it to them. It required very minor tweaking to the alignment out of the box, but it drives straight and the turning radius is pretty equal both ways. The turning radius also seems pretty tight at slower speeds. Maybe 8 inches. I get about 5-6 steps in the steering both ways with a slight jitter in the 2-3rd step to the left....but it doesn't hurt performance any.

The bottom line is that I like it. Its the best performing ZZ SE out of the box that I have and the shell is really nice looking. My only complaint is the bowed A-pillar, but I'll do a little investigating to see if its just mine or if they are all like that.
Last edited by Sdog on Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOURBON TIME OUT!
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Macro shots always seem to breally bring out the imperfections in these things:
I know, don't you hate that!!

But you you know by definition macro means magnify. Hold your car up to the screen, it aint that big. So figure if I don't see the imperfection in person, I'm not gonna worry if it's slightly imperfect when blown up to twice the size, but it sucks, because I know people are not getting full effect of what it looks like in person.

That 'Stang looks pretty cool. Should look a lot better lowered.

So they have 2 piece bodies with separate windsields now? That would make painting easy.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Sdog
bitPimp

Post by Sdog »

crazydave wrote:So they have 2 piece bodies with separate windsields now? That would make painting easy.
Yeah.....thanks for pointing that out. I should have mentioned it. They are two piece. Actually, 4 if you consider the fact that the bumpers can be taken off too.

Here is a shot of the underside. The windows should come out pretty easily:

BOURBON TIME OUT!
richh
bitGangsta'

Post by richh »

here's the blue version. saw it yesterday at the shack and of course had to pick one up. it also has the bowed a pillar; looks like it might be a molding flaw. i have to agree with sdog, this one has good proportions and some awesome detail.

DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

And I thought I had an ITCH :sad:
backdrift
bitGangsta'

Post by backdrift »

yeah i did this with my viper, they do come out easily but i used the wrong kinda paint :( it cracked. the paint that is, dont use cheap walmart paint thats a dollar!!! it never drys
s7mk

Post by s7mk »

I've had two blue Mach 1's. One had good even steering, and it was amazing; by far the best SE I've owned. The other is the usual, one turn is tighter than the other. But I think that the Mach1's are better than the GT and Viper (I've owned all of them). I had more probs with the others.
ZZ SE SL500