Review: Pinion Puller

Only topics reviewing or comparing tools, toys, etc. as well as resources such as parts lists, etc.
sg219
bitPimp

Review: Pinion Puller

Post by sg219 »

Just picked up a Pinion puller for the Xmod motors and other motors of course!!!!! Got it today, 3 days shipping from Fredrickburg, VA.

I tried it out, it works great, I picked it up off of Ebay for $14 and change.

It comes with 3 different size pinion pusher things, a plastic case with spongey foam in it, and directions in Japanese and the ever popular Broken English format.

I would recommend grabbin' one if you like to mess with motors, because I can't figure out any other way to get a pinion off an Xmod motor!!!
Last edited by sg219 on Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sessiz
bitPimp

Post by sessiz »

I got the ninco pinion puller/press. When I was in the market for one of these I saw that one and was about to buy it when I thought about the hassle of putting the pinion back on. :???:
Here's a link to the ninco...

http://www.toy-mart.com/revauto.html

I got mine from here....
http://www.professormotor.com/cat_tools.shtml
MASTER of the Harmless CHAOS!!!1!
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

sessiz wrote:I got the ninco pinion puller/press. When I was in the market for one of these I saw that one and was about to buy it when I thought about the hassle of putting the pinion back on.
I gotta say, I never thought about getting it back on!!! :-(

I haven't tied to do it yet. Well I'll find out soon enough then.
Son_Gokou
bitNinja

Post by Son_Gokou »

I've heard that, for those who don't have a pinion puller, a good way to get the pinion off is as follows:

Obtain a steel, STRONG AND STURDY butter knife which you don't plan on using anymore...(well, hopefully not for buttering.) Cut a little notch in it, big enough to fit around the leg that holds the pinion, but make sure it's small enough to hold the pinion....This way, the pinion gear should be on top of the notch and the rest of the motor beneath it. Support it on some high, strong surfaces next to each other. Take a hammer and whack the nub that sticks out (pervs! :lol: ) of the brass gear until it sinks into it...Then take a screwdriver, or something thin and strong and push the armature leg all the way out of the pinion gear, it may also help to heat it up to allow the arm to slip out easily...

Just a quick tip....
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I ended up buying a small clamp on vise to get pinions back on....

http://www.dickblick.com/zz606/83/produ ... ig_id=6967

This one is close to the one I picked up at Loews for $18 and change. From the pic, its looks like this one is much lesser quality than the one I got.
backdrift
bitGangsta'

Post by backdrift »

the easiest way to get pinions back on is to take one of the yellow bushings and put the pinion, aligned, in the middle of that and hit the top of the shaft with a hammer.. then ease it on there till its about 1.5mm away from the motor case
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i don't recomend using a hammer, it's too easy to bend the armature doing that. gently and steadily is the way to go when pressing a pinion onto an arm.
i used to be cool
backdrift
bitGangsta'

Post by backdrift »

hmm, ive done about 15 motors like that, never bent an armuture in my life
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

I use a vise to put mine on. A slow and even technique it best.
backdrift
bitGangsta'

Post by backdrift »

hmm.. i might buy one, i need a new pinion puller, the bottom of mine split in half, dont put to much pressure on this gws pinion puller!
canabits
bitThug

re:

Post by canabits »

I did quite a bit of 'serious' 1/24th slot car racing some time ago and have alot of tools left over from then that I still get some use out of..

I use a puller and press from Hudy fro my pinions. Cost a fair bit but I've more than gotten my use out of them...first with slots and now my XMods.

One of the guys I race with uses a C-clamp for a pinion press. I think he paid $1.50 for it at the local hardware store.
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Post by HirotoR34 »

Son_Gokou wrote:I've heard that, for those who don't have a pinion puller, a good way to get the pinion off is as follows:

Obtain a steel, STRONG AND STURDY butter knife which you don't plan on using anymore...(well, hopefully not for buttering.) Cut a little notch in it, big enough to fit around the leg that holds the pinion, but make sure it's small enough to hold the pinion....This way, the pinion gear should be on top of the notch and the rest of the motor beneath it. Support it on some high, strong surfaces next to each other. Take a hammer and whack the nub that sticks out (pervs! :lol: ) of the brass gear until it sinks into it...Then take a screwdriver, or something thin and strong and push the armature leg all the way out of the pinion gear, it may also help to heat it up to allow the arm to slip out easily...

Just a quick tip....

Ouch! why??? When I used to race 1/10th off road, I would see guys doing stuff like that and It would always make me laugh when they bent the armature (trust me, 9 times out of 10 that would happen). Honestly, a pinion puller is worth the extra dough. It sure beats the hell out of ruining a motor.