Liquid Mask Tutorial (picture intensive)

Got a question about painting or decals? Using an air brush or rattle cans? Wanna learn how to paint flames and take a good picture of it? It's all in here.
SilentWolv
bitPlaya'

Liquid Mask Tutorial (picture intensive)

Post by SilentWolv »

Hey all. I didn't see any tips on Bob Dively's Liquid Mask. Its super easy to use on lexan bodies for doing custom graphics. Take a look.............

Heres a couple I did just a couple weeks ago...........
Atsushi Hara look-alike............

Its great stuff. Check it out, and have fun! -Silent
The secret to life is Raku
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Wow, excellent tutorial! I've only used that stuff for really small details that were easier to paint than to cut, but using it on broad areas makes a lot of sense.
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

Yea that is a kick ass tutorial!

I don't know about that brand, but the brand I use - my buddy runs through his airbrush (after thinning with water) to lay down all on the inside of the lexan.
He can lay down as thin or thick as he likes and it helps stretch out the liquid mask supply.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
SilentWolv
bitPlaya'

Post by SilentWolv »

Looks like about the same stuff. Water-based, Smells really good at first? <G> I know the Bob Dively's stuff can be a pain to peel off if you only have a single coat. But with four coats, it stretches and peels nicely. You just have to be careful not to press very hard at all with the exacto or you'll score the lexan - A nice place for it to crack in an accident. What, me crash?
The secret to life is Raku
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

I was looking for something else and stumbled upon this, so forgive my BIG shovel :lol:

I don't have any liquid mask and no way of getting any (short of importing). I wanna know if I can use white glue (elmers or carpenter) as my liquid mask?

After reading, the white glue has the same/similar properties as this liquid mask stuff. Just asking :-)

Thanks
Maxx
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

noxorc used to use that and swear by it.
I never tried it.
Test on some scrap plastic and see how it goes.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Plenty of peeps use "Elmers" glue. :-o

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

I use elmer's to mask some tail lights and headlights with bits. Spread it with a toothpick. Just be careful if you do any wet sanding between coats, it is water soluble.
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

CaboWabo wrote:Yea that is a kick ass tutorial!

I don't know about that brand, but the brand I use - my buddy runs through his airbrush
(after thinning with water) to lay down all on the inside of the lexan.
He can lay down as thin or thick as he likes and it helps stretch out the liquid mask supply.
I've used the same product before but not much. It ended up jellin on me so I tossed it!
Elmers is my choice now, cheap & easy to get.... 8-)

Slammin azz Tuit Pimp ! :-o
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

so what is the aussie equivalent of elmers glue?

what type of glue exactly is elmers, p.v.a.?
i used to be cool
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

paper craft glue
It's white and dries clear, everyone's played with it at primary school ;)
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

CaboWabo wrote:Yea that is a kick ass tutorial!

I don't know about that brand, but the brand I use - my buddy runs through his airbrush (after thinning with water) to lay down all on the inside of the lexan.
Good stuff. I've been using that for a while now. but it smells like vomit. I've also found out it goes on smoother when you throw a little water into the tub and shake it up.
sidewinder
bitProphet

Post by sidewinder »

betty.k wrote:
so what is the aussie equivalent of elmers glue?

what type of glue exactly is elmers, p.v.a.?
Yes, it is a P.V.A., here's a link to their website, http://www.elmers.com/index.asp if you contact them they probably sell it there under a different name.

One of the world wide drop ship groups listed this:
IT LOOKS LIKE IT"S JUST ELMERS REPACKAGED< one of the countries listed where it is available is Australia (did I spell that right?)
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I missed this before. You're getting really good results with the liquid mask, SilentWolv. Kinda inspires me to it another try, but I'll you guys why I don't like it. For one, drying time. When I get inspired, I gotta work now. Secondly its difficult for me to cut accurate lines inside the body, because of the odd angles you have to hold your hand in, and contours in the body trying to guide you. Lastly, I sometimes press too hard, scoring the body. That causes two problems, for one the line fills in with paint and leaves a dark almost 3D edge, and secondly, if I screw up and want to redo it, I can never get those lines out.

But a lot of pros swear by liquid mask, so maybe I need to get over my shortcomings and learn to work with it. :???:
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
Murdoch
bitDisciple

Post by Murdoch »

hey dave, the zonda i'm working on has a lot of straight lines as part of the paintjob, so I used trim tape to define those lines and slathered on LM on either side. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.