Tires

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Tires

Post by SuperFly »

Anyone know of a domestic (non-HK) source for 11mm 08 extra soft tires? All my favorite places to order from are out of stock and have been for some time. Need rubber! :?
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Stay away from the GPM tires. I don't usually put down too many things, but these are crap. I picked up some 8, 15 and 35 deg tires. They are all about as sticky as the stock mini-z tires, which is crap if you were wondering. Mini-z's are great, but they need better tires. Well, they're nice if you like sliding everywhere.
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

HACHI-RYOKU wrote:Mini-z's are great, but they need better tires. Well, they're nice if you like sliding everywhere.
Yeah, that's always the make or break issue when we race. By far the best tires I've ever run were the Mini-ZRacer.com 10 treaded, and they have been gone for over a year now. Those grooved Atomic tires suck, too. :-?

I run on an RCP track, which has to be one of the better prepared surfaces one could hope for, and I can't find any tires that don't suck. It's weird that you can find so many brands and types available in 20, 30, or 40s, but next to nothing in the 08 and 10. I mean, what else would you put on the rear?
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Post by LBRC »

Sort of depends on what surface you are driving on, if you happen to be competing on a RCP track a set of 8 or 10 degree GPM Radials might not seem so bad, if you planed on winning that is.

On pavement I prefer harder Atonic’s.
Last edited by LBRC on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

I'm getting some gandini foams in soon. Heard tons of good stuff about them. They're not domestic or rubber, but they're good from the sounds of it.

Ausmicro stocks them.
http://shop.ausmicro.net/index.php?cPat ... =3a&page=2

I should get them this week. I'll give you the skinny if you want.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

gandini's are the best hands down! :-o

although my surface differs again, concrete and tarmac.
i used to run the gandini's front and rear (wide rear, narrow front), but i was getting traction rolls in hard corners. so i switched to rubber up front (40 deg, kyosho). it allows a little more give in a situation that would normally flip it.

i've found that the rear cannot be allowed to give, this is achieved with a combination of grippy tyres and ball diff adjustment in my opinion.
but on the front end a loss of traction just causes understeer which is more manageable than spinning out.
i used to be cool
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Just curious, do you know the degs of the stock tires?