Mini-Z Steering Position Sensor

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
METALHEAD
bitHood

Mini-Z Steering Position Sensor

Post by METALHEAD »

Okay, someone please tell me I didn't just screw the pooch by buying a steering position sensor for my Overland. My steering went to hell some time ago, so I cracked the front end and took the guts out of it. After much searching, I found this "steering sensor" on ebay from Dinball of all places. I figured they have a 98+ rating, so I took a chance, but I've heard some horror stories about ordering from overseas. Has anyone have any experience with Dinball? Also, has anyone else had to replace their steering position sensor?
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Dinball is cool. They do a good business. You can also trust Toyeast.com (another popular HK store) for anything they might have that you need.

I assume you mean the 'steering pot'? Small round flat thing.

There are several pimps around that really get into the Kyosho's and the guts in them.

From what I've gathered from your posts, your not a rookie. You should be just fine.

I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in, I don't want to tell you anything wrong on the installation.

BTW, Welcome to BP. :-)
METALHEAD
bitHood

Post by METALHEAD »

Good deal sg219, glad to hear Dinball's on the level. I was looking into Toy East, but for whatever reason I couldn't get any prices or any way to order.... :???: I filled out some form with my name and address and phone number and then got geeked out about it and left. Maybe I got a link to some back door or something, because they didn't seem like a regular online dealer. Yeah, I guess I'm not really a rookie in terms of the hobby, but when it comes to ordering from anywhere other than Tower Hobbies, Stormer hobbies, or ebay....well....I am a rook...yup...a fakkin noooob. :grin: Thanks for the input though.

This is the part I just picked up: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1 It's gotta be the same thing you're talking about.
sg219
bitPimp

Post by sg219 »

Yep, thats a POT.

You'll be fine installing it. Just need decent soldering skills. :-o

ToyEast is pretty easy to order from. Fill out your personal info, so they can keep track of all your orders, then when you get to $1000 in orders, you get a discount.

Put your stuff in the cart and then follow the prompts. If your using Paypal, there's an extra step. But nothing major. I alway use PayPal, and never a credit card. No real big reason, I just really like using Paypal for as much as possible because of the protection they offer and the ease of use.
METALHEAD
bitHood

Post by METALHEAD »

Okay, cool, thanks dude. I get a little paranoid when dealing with internet outfitters....especially ones in Hong Kong.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

How old is your OL MH? Mine's about 2 years, and the steering seems fine.. Did you take a hard hit? Or just lots of miles? lol

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
METALHEAD
bitHood

Post by METALHEAD »

I picked mine up in late '03. The thing is, I scored it for cheap off Tower's 'Scratch and Dent' section. It stated that it was new/barely used. The only thing visibly wrong was that one of the mirrors was knocked off the body, which happens pretty easily. It seems to me though, that the steering was never very good. It used to track fine, but the trim always had to be about three quarters cranked to get it to run straight. Anyway, it slowly got worse and worse until it just couldn't be adjusted. I did get a ton of time with it though. It might be hard miles or even a hard hit, I honestly couldn't say. I contemplated selling it as a parts rig, but couldn't bear to part with it. When I found the add for the steering position sensor, it seemed like the cure all for me. Shit, for $14 shipped, I figured it couldn't hurt to try it. Plus I hooked myself up with some bearings while I was at it. One cool thing about mini's...when you cut your teeth in RC with nitro off-roaders, these little dudes seem CHEAP! :smile:
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

pop it open. on the pcb is a little trimpot to center the steering. (it has a little cross shaped bit to take a phillips head screwdriver).
center the tx trims, then get the steering as centered as you can with the trimpot. final adjustments are made on the ground with the tx trims.

i've had to replace pots in iwavers before, it's almost a given!
kyosho stuff should last a long time.
you can clean out the pot by carefully removing the cover and spraying a good contact cleaner in there, turn it a few times and dry it off. (you can even use wd40, toolbox in a can) :cool:
i used to be cool
METALHEAD
bitHood

Post by METALHEAD »

Awe man, KILLER. I'll try that out as soon as I can get to it. Thanks for the info. I've always found that I'm a lot more brazen when it comes to tearing things open when I know I have a new one on the way. :lol: I always found it curious that there wasn't any adjustment in there. I guess once I found out that they're only around 10 bucks, I figured they were a throw-away item.
91LudeSiT
bitHood

Post by 91LudeSiT »

I hate the Mini-z steering POT, my mini-z is an original from when they were first released. Over time it developed the dreaded twich, to this day I have tried every fix for and and nothing it still twitches like mad.