SSMT or Iwaver ?

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
Swavey
bitThug

SSMT or Iwaver ?

Post by Swavey »

Sup Pimps, I needs a lil advise.

Been readin about the Iwaver 04 (or Firelap) for a long long time and have been wantin one, but recently noticed the SSMT 1/24... I know they arnt even in the same class, but I want somethin small that i can just have fun with, and mod....

What do you guys recomend?

I like the 04 cause its a lil smaller, and seems to have a claner design and all that jazz... but the SSMT is 4 wheel drive and seems to be more "enclosed" so i dun gotta worry bout internals quite as much..... Also I dunno anythin about the controlers. :s I remember the original Iwaver 04 had a pretty dope controller, but I dunno if the firelap is as good (dosnt look as good, hehe) and whatnot...

Edit: I love the look of the SSMT's wheels, (hehe just like a T-maxx) any way to get them on a firelap or iwaver?? if so think it would look aight?

Figured Id see what yall had to say bout it.

P.S. Im in Canada (Vancouver) so Id have to order them from someone eventually...
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

I suppose it depends on what kind of modding you want to do and how much money you want to spend. I don't have an iW04, but I do have a SSMT.

If you have some money to invest, want to mod by being able to buy and install alloy or cf parts, have something that can go fast and be fixed when it breaks, don't mind 2WD, go for the iWaver.

If you're into scratch-building parts, swapping pcbs (if you want proportionality), either scratch-building or being SOL if something breaks, spending less money, want a 4x4 crawler or house runner, go for the SSMT.
Swavey
bitThug

Post by Swavey »

Thanx Supa.

I think im kinda leanin towards the IW04, Firelap or MZM....
I wanna be able to jump and stuff, and I dunthink the SSMT likes that very much :s

You guys know a good place to get one? I dont want the "new" iwaver with the hige bumper or anythin, basically I would wanna get whatever is closest to the MZM. I know tower had the MZM on sale for pretty cheal a while back, but they are discontinued there now....

I think the firelap 4.0 is the closest to the MZM right? minus the TX... (please correct me if Im wrong) Where can I pick one of them up?
Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

Hey man, finally a fellow Vancouverite!

I know the perfect place, OCMinimoto. It's on Main and Southwest Marine, diagonally from the the Superstore. It's across the street from the Bank of Montreal. Talk to Mike or Craig. Great guys, Craig is the R/C guy, Mike is the bike guy. In fact, this Saturday they are having a race day, doors open at 10am and go till the racing ends and everyone leaves. I might not go because I got the stomach flu (fucking Triple-O's :mad: :finger: :hurl: )

http://www.iwaver.ca
http://www.ocminimoto.com
Swavey
bitThug

NICE!!!!

Post by Swavey »

That makes everything SOOO much easier!!!

Now I have only one more question.... Iwaver or Firelap ??

http://iwaver.ca/iwaver-monster-truck-white-p-116.html
or
http://iwaver.ca/firelap-monster-truck-black-p-30.html

Whats the real difference???
Sasquatch
bitHood

Post by Sasquatch »

The "old" Iwaver 04, the clone, is more of a crawler. Solid front and rear axles, decent articulation, a nice truck. The Firelap 04, the "new" one has independant front suspension and a solid rear. Not a lot of travel and articulation, more of an off-road monster truck style racer. It has a hard shell body, which adds weight and helps with roll-overs, but looks much better than the lexan bodies on the originals.

I'm not sure if they have the "old" 04's left in stock, so if you want the clone, you might have to find a used one somewhere. The Firelaps are pretty cool, decent speed and they like to do front flips. :P
Clint
bitPimp

Post by Clint »

Swavey wrote: I wanna be able to jump and stuff, and I dunthink the SSMT likes that very much :s
It doesnt. The SSMT plastic doesnt give very much and the suspension is fairly stiff. Still very fun for the price.
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

I wanna be able to jump and stuff, and I dunthink the SSMT likes that very much :s
Then you want the Iwaver for sure. That thing loves to get airborn.

Did you ever see my vid I made of my 04? I gave it a pretty good romping, I think.
Dust Devil
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"