so4 or x speed pro?

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

so4 or x speed pro?

Post by Sporttracguy »

I picked up an iwaver 02 a while back and i just found out that i have a hobby shop and a mini z track only 5 minutes down the road :eek: Ive been researching motors and pinion combos for my iwaver but have been having a hard time coming to a solid conclusion and i figured you guys could help me out.

My iwaver has upgraded bearings, upgrade board (so i can handle the hot motors) and an alloy motor mount (so i can adjust for different pinions)

Ive been looking at the so4 and the x speed pro motor. Any opinions what is faster, or all around best motor?

Thanks

STG
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

Personally i've had nothing but bad times with the X-Speed pro, brushes suck comm was dirty etc. That was all when it came in the mail brand new.
And even after cleaning it up torque was to be desired.

I'd go for the s04
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

another question to add,,, what are the differences between the SO line? so2, so3, so4??

Thanks

STG
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Sporttracguy wrote:another question to add,,, what are the differences between the SO line? so2, so3, so4??

Thanks

STG
I asked this question a while ago over at Mini-ZRacer.com:

pomme de terre
hobo

s04 is 35turns vs 39turns of the s03 and also uses thicker wire i believe so should be faster

i wouldnt say its really meant for one specific car, but it should out perform s03..

skibum1969
I have 2 Pn S04's and have been pleased with both. The motor runs pretty hot but does well with GPM heat sink motor mount. Running on a 2x3 si4562dy fet stack on a monster with 12 tooth pinion and 44t titanium main gear and this thing will fly. Also have PN Champion motor and it will leave the S04 sitting. ALso seems to run a LOT cooler. Less turns on the S04=less resistance and lighter for faster spool up.

You can also check the descriptions at http://www.pnracing.com/

I have been running an S03 for quite a while, and I just got an S04, so I'll report back when I can compare.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

PN Champion motor huh? :???: so is this a quicker motor than the so4? where would i pick one of these up at? I dont see any of these on ebay.

oh, one other thing,, my board is the factory upgraded board. THey say it can handle the xpeed pro,, im assuming that also means it can handle the so4?
what about this motor? http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/product_i ... s_id=15871

STG
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

That was from 2 years ago, and they have new motors, or at least new names. Check here:

http://www.reflexracing.net/products.asp?cat=1

the Anima and Saber sound pretty hot.

Sporttracguy wrote:oh, one other thing,, my board is the factory upgraded board. THey say it can handle the xpeed pro,, im assuming that also means it can handle the so4?
Not sure if I would take that chance, or at least keep it to an 8 tooth pinion.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

or this? http://www.reflexracing.net/proddetail. ... R10A&cat=1

Im looking at these,,, often backordered and the most money,,, you would think that would say something about how good it is wouldnt ya...anyone had any experience with this?

STG :???:
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

iwaver motors serve one purpose only, as gifts for people you hate :lol:
i've heard nothing but bad news about them and would run a mile from them.

to the best of my knowledge:
s03 = 37 turns, neo mags, bb can, standard comm
s04 = 35 turns, neo mags, bb can, standard comm
saber = 35 turns, neo mags, bb can, fatter ceramic comm
anima = 33 turns, neo mags, bb can, fatter ceramic comm

i have both the s04 and s03. they're both goddamn powerhouses!
the s03 is the torquier of the two, i've been using it in xmods.
the s04 works perfectly with my mr02. nelly 1.1, 9t pinion. it's got plenty more tourque to spare and only gets warm.

ph2t uses anima and sabre arms in some of his rigs and thinks they're great.

my first and only choice for buying a motor would be pn racing :-o
i used to be cool
LBRC
bitGangsta'

Re: so4 or x speed pro?

Post by LBRC »

Sporttracguy wrote:I picked up an iwaver 02 a while back and i just found out that i have a hobby shop and a mini z track only 5 minutes down the road :eek: Ive been researching motors and pinion combos for my iwaver but have been having a hard time coming to a solid conclusion and i figured you guys could help me out.

My iwaver has upgraded bearings, upgrade board (so i can handle the hot motors) and an alloy motor mount (so i can adjust for different pinions)

Ive been looking at the so4 and the x speed pro motor. Any opinions what is faster, or all around best motor?

Thanks

STG
So, is your goal to have faster lap times or be a public nuisance?

S04 - Great motor but you seriously don’t want it on anything you are going to put on a track with less than a 50’ straight away, as a matter of fact since you want to race the car at a LHS most of the modified motors will likely cause you to be classified as a public nuisance unless their track is set up for 1/12th scale or larger, even when put in the best dialed in MR-02.

When selecting a motor for racing and a track first you have to take the Iwavers limitations into consideration, i.e. hot modified motors cause Iwaver steering problems. Most likely they wouldn’t bother you much on the street but with 33” lanes foam rails and other cars you will learn to hate it quickly, and worse yet anyone else on the track will prefer that you drive elsewhere.

Then there is the tracks limitations, basically it’s size and the number of turns, if its just a big long carpet oval then a slightly modified motor might help your lap times, but on a typical 3 wide L RCP setup it could/will actually slow you down.

For an Iwaver on most tracks I would recommend any of the ball bearing can stock motors, staying around 47 turns, preferably with a trued comm and balanced armature, like the PN Speedy NM or (my choice) the Atomic Stock they will give you the extra speed you want but draw less current.

The Atomic Z2 is my favorite modified motor for actual racing, and the only modified motor I would consider (not recommend) putting in an Iwaver that you plan to put on a track. I have a lithium-ion modified Iwaver-01 with a Z2 in it that I occasionally use on a track, but only because the higher battery voltage helps keep the steering stable, even then it’s too fast for anything other than screwing around.

As a rule of thumb for actual racing; tires, then suspension etc., motors should be somewhere at the end of the line.

On the other hand why not pick up a nice modified motor or two, they are great to have around, everyone needs at least one S04 and/or Z2, eventually a few others too :-o .

BTW any of the modified motors will eventually fry your Iwaver FETs, especially on track, you will hit a wall stopping the wheels but still applying power once too often and poff up in smoke.
Last edited by LBRC on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Re: so4 or x speed pro?

Post by SuperFly »

LBRC wrote:
Sporttracguy wrote:I picked up an iwaver 02 a while back and i just found out that i have a hobby shop and a mini z track only 5 minutes down the road :eek: Ive been researching motors and pinion combos for my iwaver but have been having a hard time coming to a solid conclusion and i figured you guys could help me out.

Thanks

STG
So, is your goal to have faster lap times or be a public nuisance?

S04 - Great motor but you seriously don’t want it on anything you are going to put on a track with less than a 50’ straight away, as a matter of fact since you want to race the car at a LHS most of the modified motors will likely cause you to be classified as a public nuisance unless their track is set up for 1/12th scale or larger, even when put in the best dialed in MR-02.

When selecting a motor for racing and a track first you have to take the Iwavers limitations into consideration, i.e. hot modified motors cause Iwaver steering problems. Most likely they wouldn’t bother you much on the street but with 33” lanes foam rails and other cars you will learn to hate it quickly, and worse yet anyone else on the track will prefer that you drive elsewhere.

Then there is the tracks limitations, basically it’s size and the number of turns, if its just a big long carpet oval then a slightly modified motor might help your lap times, but on a typical 3 wide L RCP setup it could/will actually slow you down.

For an Iwaver on most tracks I would recommend any of the ball bearing can stock motors, staying around 47 turns, preferably with a trued comm and balanced armature, like the PN Speedy NM or (my choice) the Atomic Stock they will give you the extra speed you want but draw less current.

The Atomic Z2 is my favorite modified motor for actual racing, and the only modified motor I would consider (not recommend) putting in an Iwaver that you plan to put on a track. I have a lithium-ion modified Iwaver-01 with a Z2 in it that I occasionally use on a track, but only because the higher battery voltage helps keep the steering stable. Even then it’s too fast for anything other than screwing around.

As a rule of thumb for actual racing; tires, then suspension, motors should be somewhere at the end of the line.

On the other hand why not pick up a nice modified motor or two, they are great to have around, everyone needs at least one S04 and/or Z2, eventually a few others too.

BTW any of the modified motors will eventually fry your Iwaver FETs, especially on track, you will hit a wall stopping the wheels but still applying power once too often and poff up in smoke.
I agree with all that. Of all the racing I've done, the best moments have been with nearly stock cars. I prefer a motor where I can use the full range, and with some of the hotter motors, you only get to blip the throttle at the start of a straight.

I find that the most important thing about motors is that whoever you're racing against should have a similar, if not same setup. Otherwise, it's like going to the playground and trying to have a good basketball game with a 4th grader.
MafiaS
bitGangsta'

Post by MafiaS »

That's a perfect analogy...Stock is fair, and it's all about the driver if you ask me...Motors are great to see roar around but I would rather see my miniz clutch a turn on a track. Or better yet, two miniZ's clutching and sharing some paint :-o
Maxximum Attack
bitDisciple

Post by Maxximum Attack »

Superfly wrote:I find that the most important thing about motors is that whoever you're racing against should have a similar, if not same setup.
That's how me and my buddy race, I could probably mod out my car and leave him but that would be no fun. So when I step up, he comes along, even if I have to buy the parts for him (he's 13 and driving better everyday).
ph2t
bitPimp

Post by ph2t »

I would buy the pn racing Anima or Saber over the S03 or S04 respectively.

the main reason being that the newer anima/saber have a larger commutator on them and also the comm is ceramic. this basiaclly means that there's a little more punch in them (given the fatter comm and larger current transfer due to this) and also that are more resilient to heat (ceramic comm vs. plastic comm in thes03/s05).

But as the other fellas said, most small track don't need these types of motors.

You best bet is to goto the track and see what they're running, see how the cars match up to each other then take your motor choice from there.

ph2t.
People are mean to you because you're a fucking idiot.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

THanks guys,, as always a huge help
:-o

STG