One hell of a studder on my iwaver

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

One hell of a studder on my iwaver

Post by Sporttracguy »

Ok pimps, time to shine. Im installing an iwaver pro board in my 02 iwaver,, i installed everything correctly but when i turn it on the steering freaks out wildly,, i can steer left and right but it studders when im not turning? and even when i am turning it tends to studder. This is the second board ive tried (took the last one back to see if it was the board but it doesnt seem to be) Any ideas as to what it is?

A little update,, i replaced the POT,, still no chance,,,it doesnt start to studder utnil i turn on the remote. Ive tried a few different remotes and crystals,, still no fix?

The throttle works fine but the steering is just not happy for some reason

STG
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

#1: I doubt it's the PCB. Two different PCB's and it's still having this problem basically rules that out.

#2: Try turning on the remote FIRST. You should always turn the remote on first.

You were the one having this problem before right? It sounds like we didn't have a solution for you then. Is there more to this problem? Give us some more specs. What kind of motors, fets, batteries are you using, etc...

#3: The servo is acting up after 2 different PCB's right? The servo could be the problem. Have you taken that sucka completely out of it's compartment and given a good look?

#4: Also, if you can pop some picks up of your steering fets, that might help. Try to get any surface mounted resistors close to them in the picture too.
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Are both resistors soldered tight on your motor? Hue was having major glitching problems and that was the cause.

Also, I've found that sometimes if your trim is set in between two steps of the range of proportionality, it will constantly flip back and forth between the two notches.

My iWaver 01 had/has similar problems. I just chalk it up to another reason to get a Kyosho.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Ok, tried turning on the remote first,, still freaking out.

The iwaver 02 doesnt have a steering servo, it has a motor that goes to some gears and has a steering POT.

The batteries are just normal rechargable energizers. They worked just fine with the stock pcb.

The FETs are factory modified (iwaver pro board)

The studdering isnt just a twitch, it will freak out the entire range of its motion,, i tried the adjustment on the remote (on 3 different ones) and it tweaks the entire range)

The steering motor doesnt have any resistors directly on it. What resistors are you refering to?

STG
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

Sporttracguy wrote:The iwaver 02 doesnt have a steering servo, it has a motor that goes to some gears and has a steering POT.
That whole system is a servo...

did you seat the replacement POT in all perfect? I've had troubles with jimmy servo, and fixed it by re-seating the POT.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

yeah, ive replaced and re-sat the pot several times. And i cant leave it twitching for very long because the FET directly above the red and black steering wires gets rather hot.

I re installed my old pcb and everything works fine ??? I just dont get it

STG
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

I was refering to the surface mounted resistors on the PCB itself. I don't have an Iwaver pcb, but if I looked at the pcb and saw an obvious problem with resistors in a circuit with the steering servo or the way the steering fets were setup then I could tell you. The only way to properly test components is with a multimeter, but sometimes you can see something obvious just from looking at it.

Now it's working though???? Maybe it was bad wire connections to the steering fets.????

As for the capacitors on the motor; they will only cause a problem when the motor is running. So if it's just sitting there and the steering servo is tweating out, it's probably not the caps on the motor. Usually someone with loose caps on the motor will describe symptoms such as, "my Iwaver gets crazy when I try to run it, or I loose control of it when I try to go forward."

Sometimes it's the steering pot screwing up, but that will usually make the steering pull to one direction only. This is argueable as I may not have all the essay on steering pots.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Nah, its not still working,,, i just gave up and put the old pcb in there and that works fine (so that tells me the pot and steering motor are still working correctly and its a problem with how im setting up the new board, or with the board itself)

THanks guys and if you think of any other fixes please let me know

STG
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

Well, I have heard of bad Iwaver PCBs.

On steering fets; I know the MR-02 steering fets and the Iwaver is a clone of that, so if it's anything like that then the two wires going to the steering motor need to be soldered to two of the fet's pins on each fet. Not one.

Not sure if this could help. A pic would really help me on this one, but no worries if you don't want to get one.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

here is a pic.

STG
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

I'm not sure how versed you are with a soldering iron, so don't take this to heart if it was meant to be how it is in the pic. But, possible problems would be;

A--- The two pins in the middle on the lower end of the fet on the left probably should not be soldered together. I may be wrong though. It's hard to tell if they are both going to one steering wire.

B--- It looks like there is a short between the yellow wire and the area right above it. Also may be nothing.

C--- Resolder all the legs on each steering fet. Some look like they could use a little more solder. Also, while you're doing that, push the fets pins down on the PCB to make sure they have good contact with the PCB.

Lastly, the resistors are the tiny silver/grey rectangles all over the board. They are surface mounted resistors and they usually have the ohm rating writen on them. They all have two silver sides that should be connected to the metal traces on the PCB. Check to make sure they are all aligned properly from the ending point of one trace to the starting point of another trace.

Hope this helps.

I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING

Take a look at this pic. I circled one of those surface mounted resistors in red. It looks like it's not aligned properly. Try that first.
ynad
bitNinja

Post by ynad »

have you tried adjusting regulator, one above POT connection on the pcb :???:
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

what you got there is one of the 1st gen pcb's, notoriously shit steering. only way i ever fixed one was by replacing it!

if you can try to find a 2nd gen pcb. you can identify it by the servo pot wires which are soldered to the side of the pcb near the trimpot, rather than the 1st gen where the pot wires are soldered to the end like yours.
i used to be cool
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

no offense taken,,, now that i look at those pics and the pcb in my hand i can see how it would look so sloppy. Some how i managed to get some wicked glair and reflection where you pointed out shorts and what not. THose connections are actualy quite clear of eachother. Ill try and get a better pic.

I checked all of the resistors and they all seem fine (as far as i can tell)

I tried the adjusting regulator ( the phillups head looking screw) it did the same thing as the adjustment on the remote.

Betty, FUnny thing is, i picked this pcb up at my LHS the other day,, the package is brand new and says its and upgraded pcb for the IW 02.

:sad:

Here ya go,, no glare on this one,, makes my soldering joints look much better lol.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

the "upgrade" part of the "pro" pcb were 5a fets so you could run hotter motors.
problem was people believed it :lol:
i used to be cool