Mini Z chassis differences

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
payaso
bitPimp

Mini Z chassis differences

Post by payaso »

I'm looking to score me a Mini Z. (probably the MR-02MM)

What I wanna know is what's the difference between the

MR01
MR15
MR02RM
MR02MM
AWD

Anybody runnin the AWD?

Hue did a good job of pointing out the differences in the 02s mm, rm, but just looking to see if any of yous can shed somemore light on it for little ole me.

And why is the MR02MM Scaglietti so much cheaper than the other MM chassis? $104 vs $139

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

MR01= Battery layout xmod gen 1 style, no servo saver, earlier versions have no break feature.

MR-015= Battery layout xmod gen 1 style, has a servo saver! pretty sure has it has the break feature.

AWD= haven heard much on em, might want to cruise on over to

www.minizracer.com lots of good info and discussions.

Dont know about that MR-02? Maybe a low selling body type :???: :?

EDIT: @ Payaso, i know you live somewhere around or near etc. tampa not sure where. But theres a track down in oldsmar that holds races every wensday night. Not the biggest or fanciest shop but its a cool group of guys that work and race there etc.

Website

www.allhobbies.com
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

Maybe because the scag is a pig and you'll need to spend $35 on a different body to be competitive. :-)

I think the MR02MM is a great place to start. Something you might consider, though a little more expensive is this: get a MR02 chassis set only ($99), and get a Firelap 2.0 also. With the chassis set, you get both a RM and MM mount (edit: what you don't get is a body and a Tx), so you can set it up either way, and with the Firelap, you get a kick ass Tx for cheap. I hear most of the hot-shit racers drive McLarens and Enzos. I can tell you driving my RM NSX is entirely different than driving my MM McLaren, and the body has a lot to do with it.

The only advantage I see with an MR15 is being able to run older narrow bodies and use some of your old MR01 parts. The laid-down battery config in the MR02 is so superior, the only compelling argument to not go MR02 is AWD. Personally, I'm waiting for the dust to settle a little on the AWD chassis, and for the price to come down a little.
Last edited by SuperFly on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

MafiaS wrote:also heard the Firelap Enzo bodies can take a beat down
The Kyosho and Autoscale bodies have nicer detail and finish, but the Firelap bodies are much tougher. Compare betty.k's McLaren with ph2t's Supra. With the Firelap/iWaver bodies, the plastic is thicker, and the windows and body are all one molded piece. The Enzo has a real long nose which can take some getting used to, I hear. The McLaren is nice because it's so small and has very little overhang in the front and back. I also just got a Lambo Murci white body that I'm going to paint up.
Mazda787b
bitPlaya'

Post by Mazda787b »

Don't forget that the MR015 comes in RM and MM configurations as well.

I like the RM. Some say it is like "drifting" your way around the track. It is a bit harder to drive than MM as the steering is influenced more by throttle input. The 575GTC is a great handling shell, and prefered by most RM racers. 90% of the guys at our races running 02RMs are using the 575GTC. All that's left is an F40, and the MM Mclaren guys.

The AWD looks pretty promising. It is an easier car to drive consistantly, better than the 02MM. As when comparing an AWD 1/10 to direct-drive 2wd car, the 2wd car will dominate in the right hands. It just has alot less power loss than the awd cars.
There's no replacement for displacment.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i personally think the awd is a stupid design. ph2t has one and after around $50 of hopups he's yet to be impressed.

mr01, mr015, awd are narrower chassis' and only accept one "type" of body.
the mr02 is a wider chassis with a wider track.

one difference between mm and rm is: the shortest setting on a mm chassis is longer than the long setting on a rm chassis.
so mm chassis can only accept mm bodies.
but rm chassis can accept some of the 01/015/awd bodies. (i have a subie body that fits on 01's and a rm 02)
all that probably applies to the mm/rm mr015 too but i'm not 100%.

i've got both the kyosho and iwaver mclaren bodies. they both weigh around the same but the iw is much tougher. it took me 4 months to break that old silver mac, the autoscale bod broke during it's first run!
i used to be cool
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Tuner1989 wrote:EDIT: @ Payaso, i know you live somewhere around or near etc. tampa not sure where. But theres a track down in oldsmar that holds races every wensday night. Not the biggest or fanciest shop but its a cool group of guys that work and race there etc.

Website

www.allhobbies.com

Checked em out, and they are some mini Z freaks..... I need a bitPimps pit banner, cause I'll be racing my OL in that class, and maybe pick up a MR-02 (MM chassis) and race in that class too...

I'll let ya know how it goes, but for the rest of you, check out some of their pics. Nice size track, and full on support on site. Get down here you fuckers, and let's show em how to make it really fun....

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein