MZM motor/upgrade choices.

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
honda_s2000
bitNinja

MZM motor/upgrade choices.

Post by honda_s2000 »

Hi all ,

Im having thaught's about this MZM that I very almost traded yesterday , I charged up my batts and ran it again. But I just think as they are stock , they dont really offer all that much. I just cant seem to get a decent speed out of this thing , I want to be able to pull weelies and romp around like a larger truck , but indoors and out.

So im wanting to run a 9T pinion for torque , but I also want some speed , now what kind of upgrades should I go for ?

Here's what i've been thinking about

Nelly turbo/FET stack.
Kyosho X-speed motor/ hyper/plasma dash motor (from the mini-4wd series).
Some of the block tread tyres from ( 3racing ?).

But im wondering will this get me what I want performance wise ? or am I going to have to go LIPO. Now I have a charger that I scored brand new for cheap (Apache charger , standard version) , but im not so much in the know-how of lipo's , I've done my homework on them , but I still feel uncomfortable running them. Should I just stay away from them ?

Sorry for all the questions in one thread , but I couldn't really find what I wanted by searching.

So what do you all think ?
Im hoping tuner1989 can help me out a little here , as I know he's got some good experience with MZM's. And im also wondering what crazydave is running in the video with his IW04.

Thanks guys :cool:
Joe
We don't need no god damn roads!
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

ph2t had an insanely hotrodded MZM as well.
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

I'm on a crappy computer at the moment.

Tomorrow afternoon i'll make a post a good list/write up for the type of performance you want. :-o

Couple questions first

How durable do you want this thing to be? (More racing around or bashing?)

Are you going to be driving it indoors or outdoors more?

Budget?
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Thanks tuner ,

Durable ? What's that :lol: , I thinking i'll just go with alloy knuckles and maybe some alloy rims in time for durability , other than that im quite happy to break stuff , I can order through the LHS and have it delivered within 48hours , so no worries there.

A bit of both driving , offroad bashing/romping around really , so maybe outdoors a little more than inside. No huge jumps and stupid drop downs though.

and finally my budget , as long as I can upgrade as I drive , slowly , I have no worries about big spending in the long run , just not all at once for now.

Thanks man , look forward to it :cool:
honda_s2000
bitNinja

Post by honda_s2000 »

Good news guys :-)

I was browsing through online auctions and found a guy selling a tamiya track with heaps of mini-4wd motors and parts , he had a hyper dash motor that he claimed wasnt working , so I asked him if he would sell it alone as I was going to use it for a custom motor. He said I could have it for the price of postage. So I went ahead and payed the postage.

It arrived promtly this morning and I tried it out with a 4cell pack , and then broke it in under water. It works fine :eek: . So after hearing the brushes sucked with 4cell as they are supposed to run on 2 cells , I replaced them with stock Iwaver ones.

I then decided to bravely try it out on my MZM. And guess what ? It didnt blow my FET's :grin: . It's not much faster at all , but it definatly has some more tourque. I can now climb some decent hills in my garden that I tried over and over in vain with before.

I think i'll stick with this motor , get the wires upgraded , and maybe add a nelly turbo or a FET stack. Maybe even some neo-mags. 8-)

Im still not getting wheelies all that well , allthough im running a 9T pinion (lowest I got as I bought it used). But if anybody knows where I could pick up a 6T/7T pinion that will fit nicely , that'd be great.

Allthough im still wondering how well my gears are actually meshing , I cant remember how loose it was when turning the wheels by hand when I originally bought it. And since then i've lost the motor spacers Im having to use card/paper to figure out the right thickness. :lol:

So that's all for now , but stay tuned :cool: