Woah Nelly problem

General discussions, tutorials, help, upgrades, and new info about the Mini-Z / I-Waver line of RCs goes here.
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Woah Nelly problem

Post by Sporttracguy »

Ok pimps, maybe you can help me out with this one. Ive been trying to get a hold of ph2t for some time now (im sure he is very busy) but im getting anxious and id really like to drive this thing :sad:

Anyways,, I recieved my evo nelly the other day and installed it on my iwaver02. Ive checked the wires a good ten times but i have yet to fix the problem.

The Problem: Im only getting either a forward or a reverse and it seems to be a weak signal at that. I can switch between reverse and forward only if i flip the switch on the iwaver remote. The steering works fine. Im running a z2 motor and i was told that didnt have enough draw to damage anyting (by ph2t) I have tried different motors, fresh batteries in both the car and the remotes, different remotes, different crystals...Nothing seems to help.

Has anyone run into the problem before? Could it be that the FETs are bad/damaged or did i do something wrong? Any help would be great.

Thanks
STG
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Re: Woah Nelly problem

Post by Tuner1989 »

Sporttracguy wrote:
Im only getting either a forward or a reverse and it seems to be a weak signal at that.
Sounds exactly like one of the signal wires is either loose or shorting. Check over all the connections like a perfectonist. Look at the fets on the nelly and see if everything looks ok. And if you do decide to turn it on again, if you experience sluggish throttle and/or the nelly gets hot turn it off right away.

PICS ALWAYS HELP :-o
SuperFly
bitPimp

Post by SuperFly »

It's possible too that you may have damaged one of the pads , even just a little, when you removed the stock fets.

I messed up two of mine, but found it extremely easy (maybe even easier than the pad would have been) to use a jumper of really small guage insulated wire to one of the "vias". Maybe use a multimeter to check that all your connections are going where they should.

This thread has some pictures of my saga:
http://bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpFo ... php?t=6838
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

I went and made sure all of the connections were clean. Everything seems correct but its still not working. I need to go pick up a volt meter so i can check things. Ill pull full throttle and the wheels will spin,, when i switch the direction from the remote switch my forward no longer works but reverse will (but the signal isnt as good in reverse)

Any other ideas guys?
STG
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

i got an idea, read the install again.
http://www.woahnelly.com/images/NellyEV ... nGuide.pdf

you're wired to the correct pads but it should be (from left to right):

green blue orange yellow

the evo has different pin outs to gen 1 xmods, iwavers and z's.
i used to be cool
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Hmm,,, Well betty, i tried your way and the nelly started smoking and glowing red when i turned the car on :sad: Looks like Im going to need to get some replacement parts :???:

Lets hope ph2t get back to me soon

STG
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

Sporttracguy wrote:Hmm,,, Well betty, i tried your way
not my way, it's in the install.

you may have damaged the fets with the first install. i'll ask ph2t to get in touch with you :-)
i used to be cool
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Sorry man, i wasnt blaming you in the least. Im willing to bet that it was damaged the first time i installed it and this just pushed it over the edge. Thanks for the help. Lets hope i can get this thing running.

STG
arfin
bitGangsta'

Post by arfin »

I think you had it right the first time, if the Mini-Z and Iwaver installs are the same then you did. The link from Betty is for the Evo install.
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

shit! arfin's right. i didn't read your post properly. i just read that it was a "nelly evo" and assumed it was going in an evo.

so that means you were right the first time and my advice probably screwed it! :-(

i'll talk to ph2t about it, if it turns out it was my advice that killed it i'll pay for the replacement :-)
i used to be cool
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

NAh man, you dont need to pay for anything. I didnt question your advice and honestly as far as i can tell i did it correctly the first time and it wasnt workign then, so im thinking there may have been a faulty FET in there somewhere. No worries, we will work this out,, just as soon as PH2t gets backt to me

Thanks

STG :cool:
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

phew! i'm off the hook 8-)

spoke to phooty today. you did everything right the first time, it is most likely a faulty component.
doing the "evo"install definately fucked it worse but it was screwed to start with so he'll hook ya up :-o

we discussed his testing process.
in the beginning he would wire up every nelly to a test chassis, fire up the throttle and check for heat, etc.

as most nelly customers know, it's a long process from order to delivery. he literally is working a busy real job, raising a young un, keeping the wife happy (a losing battle, but that's marriage! :lol: ), then maybe there's time for rc stuff, some of which actually involves him playing with his toys!

so he's since streamlined the testing by testing the continuity of the solder joins. very rarely a component is a dud and that can slip through the net. so you just got unlucky, it's only happened a couple of times before.

he's seen this thread, he should be in touch with you soon :-o
i used to be cool
Sporttracguy
bitNinja

Post by Sporttracguy »

Thanks man, i know he is out with an injury, lets hope he gets better soon.

STG
HACHI-RYOKU
bitPimp

Post by HACHI-RYOKU »

I've had a hard time getting a hold of him too. I hope he's OK.

I was having a little trouble with my Nelly EVO too. I think I'm just asking too much though. It works fine, but it gets hot. I've got it in a Xmod EVO with, ball bearings, AWD and a PN Racing Anima modified motor. I originally had a Plasma-Atomic in but that was building up way too much heat too fast. The motor wasn't even getting hot before the external fet board would get hot, so I switched it to a different motor.

Anyways, I'm looking into ways to reduce weight, which will reduce resistance and help keep things cool. I've already taken out some screws that I really don't need, the PCB cover and I'm contemplating puting holes in the chassis as well as ordering a carbon AWD shaft. I kind of need to keep the high gears. Otherwise it wont be competative with the Z-class racers.

Anybody running the Nelly EVO in a Xmod EVO with a hot motor AND AWD? Fet board getting hot?
Cause I ride around town on my low-rider bicycle.
Tuner1989
bitNinja

Post by Tuner1989 »

HACHI-RYOKU wrote:I've had a hard time getting a hold of him too. I hope he's OK.

I was having a little trouble with my Nelly EVO too. I think I'm just asking too much though. It works fine, but it gets hot. I've got it in a Xmod EVO with, ball bearings, AWD and a PN Racing Anima modified motor. I originally had a Plasma-Atomic in but that was building up way too much heat too fast. The motor wasn't even getting hot before the external fet board would get hot, so I switched it to a different motor.

Anyways, I'm looking into ways to reduce weight, which will reduce resistance and help keep things cool. I've already taken out some screws that I really don't need, the PCB cover and I'm contemplating puting holes in the chassis as well as ordering a carbon AWD shaft. I kind of need to keep the high gears. Otherwise it wont be competative with the Z-class racers.

Anybody running the Nelly EVO in a Xmod EVO with a hot motor AND AWD? Fet board getting hot?
My nelly Evo got somewhat hot when running a uberdash for 5-10 minutes also.