My thrasher car

Use this gallery to show off your own garage of sleds - everything 1:32 and smaller - no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
crazydave
bitPimp

My thrasher car

Post by crazydave »

I wanted a car I could carry in my pocket, and not worry about it. So I dug through my spare parts, and put together this beater.

The chassis is a LXX. The front bulkhead thing from a MS sport. The whole front steering assembly, including coils from a Thunder Charger. 50 mah NiCd from a Micro Speed. PCB from an original Microsizer that's been fully FET modded. Motor from a Cannonball, that happens to be faster than any other I've gotton from Cannonball's

The body had been stepped on by my kid, and cracked in 5 different places, including one going straight up the back, all the way into the window. I super glued it, and sanded. Then I was forced to paint it to hide the cracks. I don't normally tint my windows, but this one got the limo treatment to hide the cracks.

Since I wasn't feeling particularly inspired, I really honestly came close to putting big white polka dots on it, but I settled for a more mellow 2 tone blue. I was getting ready to clear coat it as is, but was looking at the remains of the flame mask I had cut for the lancer, and thought, "What if I just slapped some flames that paid no attention to body lines on there, and just ran them right up into the window." So that's what I did.

I carried the flames through the windows with silver marker. We'll just pretend that reflective tinting. ;)

It came out just a little too nice for a thrasher car. There is some discoloration along the bottom edge. That's moisture trapped in the paint from painting in the evening when the dew point is rising, and laying the clear coat too thick. I was trying to level the cracks more, but also it's getting cooler out, and i can't lay my coats as thick as I did during the summer. Hoping that should disappear in a day or two. (fingers crossed) If not, oh well, it's my thrasher car.
...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

lmao
polka dots... that'd be friggin hilarious

it is looking nicer than a beater, but you remember my V-Dub truck?
that thing looks like hell now, I've been driving it all over, carrying it around now for months and its showing the signs.
but it feels cool now, because I know it used to be a killer body, now its full of character and miles and I gots stories for just about every scar on her.
I gotta take a comparison pic soon.

you'll love the feeling of not caring.
not that you're out to destroy it, but when you're not as concerned, it makes for some really fun driving.
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

Damn Cavey,

It's hard to make a beater, that really looks like a beater unless your'e Ripper77777777 ! Like Cabo said, it's gonna take some beatin to get it to look like it! Right now it looks like a sho nuff show car with cross breeding underneath! My beater is my ZCar though it doesn't look like it......Yet!
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Well i'll tell ya guys, I always drive my cars as hard as I can. I just never take them out, 'cause I'm afraid of them getting crushed, or some other non driving related incident.

It is gonna be nice to have a car to take out and not worry about, and since I am hoping I might hook up a race or two while I'm out, I've got this car dialed in.

As funny as the polka dots sound, I had it pictured in my head how it could work, and I regret not doing it. I'm gonna try someday soon. Here's the way I'm seeing it; you got a large circle on each side, hood, and roof. That looks like a circular graphic that accents the bug's semi-circle shape. Then you throw some smaller circles in between to fill out the polka dot theme. Do it in a sick color combo like purple and orange, and then you've just crossed over into the realm of psychedelia.
crazydave's Gallery
HirotoR34
bitPimp

Post by HirotoR34 »

That's a really cool car for a beater. It's better looking than my yellow Evo beater.
VooDooMafia
bitPimp

Post by VooDooMafia »

Yea its always good to have a beater car that you dont have to worry about, BUT to have one that looks as nice as that is a bonus :)

Nice work Dave.

Your paint jobs hold up anyway I know The beetle you did for me has takin some spills and crashes without any scratches or dents. Thanks Again PIMP :-)
I Don't care what you say PIMPIN aint easy, you Broke A$$ Mother F*&Ker
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

VooDooMafia wrote: Your paint jobs hold up anyway I know The beetle you did for me has takin some spills and crashes without any scratches or dents. Thanks Again PIMP :-)
Yeah, damn laquer. It's so damn durable. I'll never get this this thing looking like a beater. :lol:

Seriously, all my bodies have broken, or cracked from impact before the paint will chip or scratch.

...and no prob dude, you hooked me up with a Bit, I think that was worth a paint job. I do miss that paint job of yours, I'll never be able to nail that sick shade of green again, but I love my '68 Cosmo. :-)
crazydave's Gallery
hue35
bitPimp

Re: My thrasher car

Post by hue35 »

I was cracking up while I was reading this post. You're always so modest, but this time it was a little too extreme... beater?
I was glad to see this when I scrolled to the bottom...
crazydave wrote:...It came out just a little too nice for a thrasher car.
noxorc
bitPimp

Post by noxorc »

I agree with your idea...and I would like to do the same....and that is carry a nice car around in your pocket.
Problem is the damn TX box is soo big. Without it...it's a matchbox.

Nice choice/job on your pocket bit.

You know I like the decales.

-nox
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

:lol: @ Hue

Yeah, I should have said, "It will be my beater". I still consider this my beater, though, because it's like I dug all the parts out of a junkyard. It's amazing what a nice thick coat of paint will hide. ;)

I should have taken some before pics of the body, so you could've seen the mess I hid.

I remeber in HS, I had a buddy that chopped the roof off his VW squareback, and left it all rough, and hacked. It was already primered grey, then we went and did some black primer flames, and other graffitti. That was a 'thrasher' car.
crazydave's Gallery