Baja Beetle

Use this gallery to show off your own garage of sleds - everything 1:32 and smaller - no matter if they be bangin, slangin, or just barely hangin.
crazydave
bitPimp

Baja Beetle

Post by crazydave »

I had thought about doing a baja bug for a while, but I was thinking of a classic one, with the motor hangin' out the back, and the stinger stinkin' up in the air, but then I realized after doing my baja pickup, it didn't have to be a baja bug so to speak, it would be cool to just bring the classic baja bug influence to the new Beetle.

So here's what' I've done.

It's on a Thunder Charger chassis. FET modded. Wheels, and off road tires from a Motorworks car.

The body got severely hacked. I sanded back and rounded off the front. Trimmed the bottom edge way up, and into a classic baja bug shape. Did some severe trimming to the back and sides. Chopped the top off. Made and interior with a dash and seats from a Dub City car, glued to pieces of thin microsizer packaging.

I did the paint to match the colors of my baja pickup, but with a water splash theme. I brushed in some dark blue shadows, to give the splashes depth. Came out pretty good. It was perfect until I clear coated. Layed it a little too heavy on the passenger side. Melted some of the blue, and it ran into the crevice, but still I'm pretty happy with it.

I did front and rear guards with the plastic coated colored paper clips. I also did a roll cage and some nerf bars for the sides. A little tip for anybody that wants to try making these paper clip guards/roll cages. If you clear coat after you mount it with super glue. the clear coat will make the white haze from the super glue go away. that lets you get away with a little more glue.

So here it is...

...crazy man, crazy...dig it.
crazydave's Gallery
Ratfink says: "Man, it's the craziest"
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

:eek: dude, that turned out whicked!
holy shit that thing needs to be on the beach running over david hasselhoff and crashing through a smoothie stand!

excellent work crazydave, I love it
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
brendan123
bitGangsta'

Post by brendan123 »

wow, that looks real nice, i love how u put the depth into the splashes on the side makes it look like real graphics. That turned out awsome man great job.
denden1
bitHood

Post by denden1 »

That shiat is hot like :ak: FIRE !!
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Thanks guys :-)

I forget to mention that the two cars will be part of a video I'm working on over the next couple weeks.

I wonder what David Hasselholf is up too these days. :???:
crazydave's Gallery
BilboBaggins
bitHobbit

Post by BilboBaggins »

crazydave wrote:I wonder what David Hasselholf is up too these days. :???:
Probably singing in Europe, he's a big POP star over there from the rumors I've heard.
Sitting at my workbench in my comfortable little Hobbit hole.
Finks
bitPimp

Post by Finks »

God Lawrd that is Hot! Damn fine job CD. Supprised I havn't seen a Baja Bug mod yet, but glad to see you were the one to let you creative juices splash all over that naughty beach romper.
DarkTari
bitPimp

Post by DarkTari »

Damn Cavey :eek:
You puttin dem bodies to work huh! It looks great ! You know I gotta Pimp Yo Azz again right ? :cool:
I'm puttin in a request for that 1 extended exhaust pipe out da back ?????? :???: Rrrrrrrr!
hue35
bitPimp

Post by hue35 »

That's beautiful... it's interesting how all that shaping made it look a lot more old school.
Miva
bitThug

Post by Miva »

:grin: Nice, nice, baby! :grin:
betty.k
bitPimp

Post by betty.k »

as always dave, first class job! :eek: lookin' forward to the vid :smile:
i used to be cool
crazydave
bitPimp

Post by crazydave »

Thanks, glad you guys like it. :smile:

I have to tell you guys though, part of the reason I decided against a classic baja bug, is because the rear mounted engine would have created body mounting issues, and this was just easier. It's really kinda surprising how easy it is to bring the classic bug influences to the new Beetle. I think alot of it has to do with chopping that roof. It's too much like a perfect dome. Lacks the character of the original Beetle.
crazydave's Gallery
CaboWabo
Site Admin

Post by CaboWabo »

I heard that dave.
I've wanted to do the rear mount motor style beetle for a long time and could never figure out how exactly to pull it off either

now I know, if you can't either, then it really is impossible.

in this case, the easier approach I'm sure is the best approach for looks
you pulled it off nicely
Dear Life Cereal, Where do you get off? Part of a balanced breakfast and delicious? Who do you think you are? By now you may have guessed I'm speaking ironically and have nothing but good things to say about what you do. Life cereal do not change a thing.
payaso
bitPimp

Post by payaso »

Both the car and truck are fandidlytastic... you should try a shot at a beater/hooptie style..

You've mastered this end of the spectrum, but I don't think I've seen you do the classic junker.

Just an opinion... Either way, your cars turn out great.

silla :D
payaso...... :)

"Imagination is everything. It's the preview to lifes coming attractions" -Albert Einstein
TMP
bitGangsta'

Post by TMP »

looks great as always dave.. but fill us in on this movie your workin on :)
The METALLIC Pimp.